Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Maybe she sees the sign and thinks 3-1 then brings her hands together as she processes that means inside fastball. Taking the sign and interpreting it are 2 different things.

The purpose of the rule is to allow the batter the opportunity to get set for the pitch as the pitcher makes contact with the plate. It is not a gauge of how quickly a pitcher can receive a signal and process it.

I think this pitcher is just too quick. Nobody is going to convince me that the catcher can flash a signal that quickly to her after the pitcher steps on the plate. Let’s be realistic here and stop trying to come up with excuses not to make the illegal pitch call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben

Sep 23, 2019
Rewatched video 10 times. I now would want pitcher to take a longer pause. Assuming this is NFHS I know that my assn. would want a longer pause b4 bringing hands together.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The purpose of the rule is to allow the batter the opportunity to get set for the pitch as the pitcher makes contact with the plate. It is not a gauge of how quickly a pitcher can receive a signal and process it.

I think this pitcher is just too quick. Nobody is going to convince me that the catcher can flash a signal that quickly to her after the pitcher steps on the plate. Let’s be realistic here and stop trying to come up with excuses not to make the illegal pitch call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rule isn’t to allow the batter x amount of time. Otherwise the rule would say, wait x number of seconds to allow the batter time. The wording of the rule is vague, and a smart pitcher will use that to her advantage (and occasionally waiting 20 seconds to throw off the batter) the rule is to keep the pitcher from walking through with momentum. My dd pitched 13 years. The first 3 she was a human rain delay, she was so deep in her own head it took her way too long to prepare for each pitch. After an off season of working on getting the ball and pitching without a lot of over thinking she was more like the girl in your video. 10 years of pitching like that. I think twice the ump called no pitch because he wasn’t ready, but never an illegal pitch, never an opposing coach complaint either.

The pitchers job is not to wait for the batter to be ready, it’s the batters job to be ready when the pitcher is.

Would you complain if the pitcher waited far longer then necessary to get signs? Your batter standing there in her stance, waiting and getting antsy for an extra 18 seconds?

May 29, 2015
I think 8 or 9 out of 10 umpires would call this legal, which I get. I guess as a pitcher, why make it close?

Hopefully, USA softball will remove baserunners advancing as part of the illegal pitch penalty.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! I was really disappointed NFHS removed the base award. Just awarding a ball is a negligible penalty.

May 29, 2015
The rule isn’t to allow the batter x amount of time. Otherwise the rule would say, wait x number of seconds to allow the batter time. The wording of the rule is vague ...

The pitchers job is not to wait for the batter to be ready, it’s the batters job to be ready when the pitcher is.

Would you complain if the pitcher waited far longer then necessary to get signs? Your batter standing there in her stance, waiting and getting antsy for an extra 18 seconds?

CHSUmp is correct on the intent of the rule. You are correct that it is written in vague terms.

NCAA has added a specific time (2 seconds I believe) for the pause. They are also (from what I have heard) considering making it illegal to take a sign while not in contact with the pitcher’s plate. That speaks to the problem.

It absolutely is part of the pitcher’s job to allow the batter time to be prepared ... and it is a safety issue if she doesn’t.

If the pitcher stood there for an additional 18 seconds, I would have an issue. She has 20 seconds from the time she receives the ball back. Specific time, just like you asked for. ;)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
CHSUmp is correct on the intent of the rule. You are correct that it is written in vague terms.

NCAA has added a specific time (2 seconds I believe) for the pause. They are also (from what I have heard) considering making it illegal to take a sign while not in contact with the pitcher’s plate. That speaks to the problem.

It absolutely is part of the pitcher’s job to allow the batter time to be prepared ... and it is a safety issue if she doesn’t.

If the pitcher stood there for an additional 18 seconds, I would have an issue. She has 20 seconds from the time she receives the ball back. Specific time, just like you asked for. ;)
So she gets the ball takes the mound and waits 18 seconds to pitch. What’s the problem? That’s under the 20 second rule.

As an ump, would you call an IP on the pitcher in the video?

Jan 27, 2019
I think the pause is fine, she is within the parameters of the rules and honoring the spirit of the rule as well, that part is not illegal.

I would like to see it closer, so the hands come together on her side? Then do they make contact again in front?

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
The rule isn’t to allow the batter x amount of time. Otherwise the rule would say, wait x number of seconds to allow the batter time.
Where did you read anything in my post that I said the batter is allowed X amount of time to be ready? I never even intimated that the batter is allowed a certain amount of time to get ready.

The fundamental purpose of the requirement for the pitcher to get onto the plate and keep her hands separated while she takes or simulates taking a sign is to prevent the pitcher from catching the batter off-guard. It may not be written that way in the rule, but that is what umpires are told at rules clinics.

Yes, I would have called an IP on this pitcher.

May 29, 2015
So she gets the ball takes the mound and waits 18 seconds to pitch. What’s the problem? That’s under the 20 second rule.

As an ump, would you call an IP on the pitcher in the video?

If she is under 20 from receipt to delivery, she’s legal. I interpreted your description as taking an additional 18 after the usual prep and primp period. She doesn’t get 20 from the first contact on the pitcher’s plate (which is how I read your post). 😋

I already said that I likely would not call it based on that video (unless it was NCAA rules which stipulate 2 seconds for the pause), but I would mention to the coach that she is getting awfully close to being called. I don’t like it, but I don’t see enough on that one to call it. Honestly, it looks to me as if she is getting the signal after her hands are together, but you can’t tell from that video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12