Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
USA softball rules in effect. Is this a legal or illegal pitch? Was not called as illegal in the game. Is there enough of a pause with the hands separated to appear to get a sign?

I say "no", illegal pitch.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is fine. There is no requirement to 'pause' - just that the hands are separated while simulating or getting a sign. It isn't long, but the hands are separated for at least a count of two, so I certainly wouldn't be calling anything as long as the batter is ready. It isn't like she is walking into her pitch.

Just saw the NFHS video above - 0:32-0:47 shows this well

May 29, 2015
I am of the same mindset as Blaine in that I would like to see more of a pause before bringing the hands together, but it’s not to the point I would call it. I would say something to the coach, as bad habits can develop quickly.

Feb 25, 2018
Here's why I think it's illegal:

Part of my pitch preliminaries checklist concerning the "appears to take a sign" is saying to myself "fastball, in". Some umpires go with "one-mississippi". Concept is the same, there has to be a gap of time with the hands separated. I don't complete "fastball, in" before this pitcher brings her hands together.

I personally think the best way for a pitcher to take a sign is from on the rubber. Then they don't have to remember to pause.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here's why I think it's illegal:

Part of my pitch preliminaries checklist concerning the "appears to take a sign" is saying to myself "fastball, in". Some umpires go with "one-mississippi". Concept is the same, there has to be a gap of time with the hands separated. I don't complete "fastball, in" before this pitcher brings her hands together.

I personally think the best way for a pitcher to take a sign is from on the rubber. Then they don't have to remember to pause.
Maybe she sees the sign and thinks 3-1 then brings her hands together as she processes that means inside fastball. Taking the sign and interpreting it are 2 different things.

Feb 25, 2018
I'd say the catcher putting one finger down and tapping their shin guard for the location still takes longer than the time elapsed in the video.

Feb 25, 2018
I think 8 or 9 out of 10 umpires would call this legal, which I get. I guess as a pitcher, why make it close?

Hopefully, USA softball will remove baserunners advancing as part of the illegal pitch penalty.

Reactions: Ben

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee