Illegal pitch without verbal call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
This past weekend my 11 DD was pitching in the semifinal game of a an open tournament. She was pretty tired from a heavy load but was still sitting them down a good clip. We are a younger team and were up 5-0 on the 2007 older team. All of a sudden opposing coach pops out and talks to the umpire. After that DD can't buy a strike. Ball after ball after ball. DD coach is pretty reserved but the next inning he finally says something. The umpire says he was calling illegal pitches and shows how he held his fist out. Apparently, her offense was she was stepping on the rubber with her hands together. She wasn't quick pitching but I understand...an illegal pitch is an illegal pitch.

The only question I have is this the new normal? She has been called for an illegal pitch before (not an common experience), but it always came with an explanation. Is this silent call sometime that she should expect going forward?

May 29, 2015
Oof ...

Admittedly, I am not a fan of the verbal yell while a pitcher is pitching. I know I am technically wrong, but I prefer to give the signal as soon as it happens, then verbalize after the catcher has caught it. I feel the same way about obstruction (but I am not as staunch on it). It seems to me yelling during a play just confuses the players (they stop playing, look around, etc.).

Just throwing a hand out to the side and not saying anything is terrible form. Your case is a good example of why ... you just thought she was missing the zone.

I NEVER call it without offering an opportunity of an explanation to the coach and I NEVER go talk to the pitcher without the coach.

Jul 15, 2016
My DD got called for an Illegal pitch this weekend also. The frustrating part for her, is, depending on which sanction you are in, there may be different rules (step back/start back). And the other issue was, she had already pitched 3 games with no illegal calls. I know how hard it is to be an ump so I try never to criticize them, but a little consistency within the same tourney would certainly help

Aug 21, 2008
It's absolutely disgusting that the umpire(s) would call a single Illegal pitch (let alone a lot of them) without telling the pitcher what she's doing wrong. A good umpire says what he/she saw and tries to help get it fixed. This is an 11U girls softball team playing in a random June tournament, not the PGF nationals. HELP TEACH THE GAME. Yes, hands together is an illegal pitch. But it's a simple fix, and all it takes is a brief second to tell the pitcher what's what.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Imo it is not appropriate for umpire to only speak to a pitcher.
This comunication should be made with the coach.
The coach should then approach pitcher with the umpire.
If the coach thinks appropriate.

It is not good to have an opinion of one umpire in the head of a player.

Especially when umpires are so inconsistant. It could be a
'Just let it go moment' to not be concerned with.

May 29, 2015
My DD got called for an Illegal pitch this weekend also. The frustrating part for her, is, depending on which sanction you are in, there may be different rules (step back/start back). And the other issue was, she had already pitched 3 games with no illegal calls. I know how hard it is to be an ump so I try never to criticize them, but a little consistency within the same tourney would certainly help

I understand the frustration with the different codes ... completely relatable and the reason you need to know what sanction you are playing and what their rules are.

One thing about the second part of your comment bothers me though -- and I hear it all the time -- "She had already pitched 3 games with no illegal calls." Yes, it is possible that the ump calling it got it wrong. More likely though is that the previous 3 umpires were missing it ... and that does not justify continuing to not call it. Consistently bad is still consistent, but not right.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The only question I have is this the new normal? She has been called for an illegal pitch before (not an common experience), but it always came with an explanation. Is this silent call sometime that she should expect going forward?

Ugh.. not going to defend a blue who is just flat out getting it wrong. No, you should NOT expect this moving forward. It is terrible form, incorrect mechanics and a whole long list of bad ways of going about making this call.

USSSA Wording Below:
"If an illegal pitch occurs but the pitch is not released, it is a dead ball.If the pitch is released, the umpire calls “illegal” loud enough nearby players to hear. Simultaneously, the Umpire gives the delayed dead-ball signal and waits to suspend play until the play has been completed. Failure of players to hear the call shall not void the call. "

Now there is things your team SHOULD have done, because there is also no excuse for not picking up on something weird happening...

For a start- your catcher better be communicating to the umpire when she caught a couple of clear strikes about what was wrong with that pitch? It had to be obvious on swings-and-misses as well right or fouls - were they balls as well? Blue has to say 'it was illegal' at that point, right?

If they were actually making the actual delayed-dead ball signal someone (coaches for example) should have caught onto it pretty quickly - it would be highly unusual and out of place to see. It is an arm extended straight out with a fist. It is very easy to see. As a partner (assuming they had one) the field umpire better be catching on somehow as well and seeing what was going on was not right.

So sure - they umpire may have been inexperienced/wrong/incompetent/etc/etc - I don't know the exact situation.... but everyone else was as incompetent as well?

May 29, 2015
Tangent question ... as I said above, I know my mechanic is technically incorrect. Can anybody explain to me the benefit of yelling "ILLEGAL!" as the pitcher is pitching? I only see the downside on that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Isnt yelling on infield fly rule similar oddness, while players are active?!

Jul 15, 2016
One thing about the second part of your comment bothers me though -- and I hear it all the time -- "She had already pitched 3 games with no illegal calls." Yes, it is possible that the ump calling it got it wrong. More likely though is that the previous 3 umpires were missing it ... and that does not justify continuing to not call it. Consistently bad is still consistent, but not right.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! I would rather her have been called for it on the first pitch thrown. I wasnt frustrated with the call, I was frustrated that it wasnt called up until then

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee