Illegal pitch or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Going to keep poking this from the Devil's Advocate point of view ... (doesn't mean I agree with what I am saying!)

What is forward motion? Forward motion of what? Once a pitcher's hands break, the ball and her arm are always going backwards. Her lower body (knees to butt) are typically moving backwards as she bends.

Forward meaning ... what? There is no definition. By definition EVERY pitch is illegal.

6.3.c The pitcher shall not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after separating the hands.

It does NOT say she CAN'T go backward. It says she can't go backwards AFTER going forward. She can be standing still, break the hands (which go backward) and step backward because she did not STOP or REVERSE. She never was going forward at that point.

OK ... now this part I believe ... (and it is my point)
1600010888503.png

Rule writers need to do better. Words matter. Quit writing shite rules and changing their meaning with "interpretations" because you GOT IT WRONG.

Yes, they hated me in union contract negotiations. It isn't about what it says YOU CAN do ... it is about what it DOESN'T say you CAN'T do.

One more edit ... yes, I hate coaches that approach it that way. That is why I try to think that way first. Cut them off at the pass.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
Going to keep poking this from the Devil's Advocate point of view ... (doesn't mean I agree with what I am saying!)

What is forward motion? Forward motion of what? Once a pitcher's hands break, the ball and her arm are always going backwards. Her lower body (knees to butt) are typically moving backwards as she bends.

Forward meaning ... what? There is no definition. By definition EVERY pitch is illegal.

6.3.c The pitcher shall not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after separating the hands.

It does NOT say she CAN'T go backward. It says she can't go backwards AFTER going forward. She can be standing still, break the hands (which go backward) and step backward because she did not STOP or REVERSE. She never was going forward at that point.

OK ... now this part I believe ... (and it is my point)
View attachment 19238

Rule writers need to do better. Words matter. Quit writing shite rules and changing their meaning with "interpretations" because you GOT IT WRONG.

Yes, they hated me in union contract negotiations. It isn't about what it says YOU CAN do ... it is about what it DOESN'T say you CAN'T do.

One more edit ... yes, I hate coaches that approach it that way. That is why I try to think that way first. Cut them off at the pass.

Yes, I also think the rules can be written clearer; I hate having to decipher what is and isn't said.

The pause to take a sign or appear to take a sign is a great example. Define the length of time for the pause.
I believe the NCAA rule set had a time, but removed it.

May 29, 2015
Yes, I posted an exercise in response to your post in the other thread @BlaineAB .

I am not as "up" on the history of NCAA rules, but I think they used to have a much better set on the pause and pre-delivery timing than they do now. For example, their current rule does not require a minimum amount of time for the hands to be together. In fact, they explicitly say it can just be a touch in the "note" to the rule.

Personally, I think a better rule would explicitly say the hands must come together AND BE STILL. All rule sets allow the hands to be in motion, which leads to these issues.

May 29, 2015
Also to add ... the NCAA rule says the pitcher may not:

10.4.3 Stop and change direction more than twice.

No backward/forward language. Much cleaner.

Oct 24, 2010
Yes, I posted an exercise in response to your post in the other thread @BlaineAB .

I am not as "up" on the history of NCAA rules, but I think they used to have a much better set on the pause and pre-delivery timing than they do now. For example, their current rule does not require a minimum amount of time for the hands to be together. In fact, they explicitly say it can just be a touch in the "note" to the rule.

Personally, I think a better rule would explicitly say the hands must come together AND BE STILL. All rule sets allow the hands to be in motion, which leads to these issues.

NCAA now has a set of rules that require the pitcher to take the signal while in the pitching position. This prevents the pitcher from taking the signal earlier, stepping up to the plate, and rolling into the touch-n-go. Their rule has not required a minimum hands-together time as far back as 2001.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee