Illegal pitch or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
Thanks! I saw a pitcher whose step back started right when she split her hands. Illegal pitch wasn’t being called.
For USA its a rule change that allows any back step, so there could be some inexperience there. But the umps should be going to the training and learning the rule changes. High School is even more restrictive. In HS, the step back has to be completed before the hands are brought together. [Reading from the 2015 HS book] In USA, the step back has to be completed before the hands are separated.

Aug 25, 2019
Legal.

Step back and start back legal for usa, usssa and nfhs/hs

Start back only legal for PGF, college

Usssa director and UIC should be fired. It isnt that hard and they have had plenty of time to get it straight for their own sanction.
Right! This rule was added this year. Now I'm only a 2nd year umpire, but I study the rulebook, and what I've found with working with old timer umpires with 20+ years experience, quite a few of them don't know the rules, I guess they "know it all" therefore they don't read the rule book for refreshing.

Feb 15, 2017
My DD has been working with the rec league while shes recovering from a growth plate issue in her throwing arm. She was working with a pitcher who has a pitching coach and was replanting. DD told her that a replant was illegal and girl told her that her coach teaches it because umpires don't call it.

Is this where we're going?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
For USA its a rule change that allows any back step, so there could be some inexperience there. But the umps should be going to the training and learning the rule changes. High School is even more restrictive. In HS, the step back has to be completed before the hands are brought together. [Reading from the 2015 HS book] In USA, the step back has to be completed before the hands are separated.

USA and NFHS have brought their rules closer together, e.g. one foot contacting the plate, step back allowed before the pitch, pitch begins when the hands separate.
The NFHS rule was changed in 2019: 6-1-2b. Any step back with the non-pivot foot must begin before the start of the pitch (6-1-2a.) Once the pitch has started (the hands separate), the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery.

Feb 25, 2018
USA and NFHS have brought their rules closer together, e.g. one foot contacting the plate, step back allowed before the pitch, pitch begins when the hands separate.
The NFHS rule was changed in 2019: 6-1-2b. Any step back with the non-pivot foot must begin before the start of the pitch (6-1-2a.) Once the pitch has started (the hands separate), the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery.

I asked a couple of umpires in my area about. Their take is that they would not call an illegal pitch in the situation described, as they don’t see the pitcher getting any competitive advantage if they step back at the same time as the hands are splitting. I don’t agree with that take, as the rule book doesn’t have that as an exception.

Yeah, the coach won’t like it, but the rule is the rule.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
I asked a couple of umpires in my area about. Their take is that they would not call an illegal pitch in the situation described, as they don’t see the pitcher getting any competitive advantage if they step back at the same time as the hands are splitting. I don’t agree with that take, as the rule book doesn’t have that as an exception.

Yeah, the coach won’t like it, but the rule is the rule.

As an umpire, I hate when umpires use the terms "competitive Advantage". That is not found anywhere in the rule book.

May 17, 2012
Honestly we weren’t going to make an issue about it, knowing our hitters should still be able to catch up to her.

And what if you couldn't catch up to her? Good god....

Focus on your team and not what the other team is doing. If that pitcher is shot out of a cannon doing a triple jump it's no concern to your hitters.

Let the umpires sort it (or not). On my teams there is zero talk from our hitters or coaching staff on what the opposing pitcher does or doesn't do legally. It just doesn't matter in the end; we have to get on base.

There are too many rule sets, umpire interpretations, and tournament directors giving their opinions on what's legal and what's not. We don't care if the pitcher throws overhand. Lets go.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Wording of the rule ...

Rule 6A, Section 1E: The pitcher shall bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. A backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step.

If you wanted to be a real stinker ... it doesn't say the step back can't occur after the hands come apart. Just that it must happen "before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together." :unsure: 😳😱😈🤬😭

Oct 11, 2018
If you wanted to be a real stinker ... it doesn't say the step back can't occur after the hands come apart. Just that it must happen "before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together." :unsure: 😳😱😈🤬😭

As with many of these softball rules, you have to look in multiple places to get the entire picture. If you Look at 6.3.C on "Legal Delivery" it states:
  • The pitcher shall not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after separating the hands.

If the step back occurred after the hands separated, it would be a violation of 6.3.C. Motion has to be forward from the separation of the hands.

Feb 25, 2018
As with many of these softball rules, you have to look in multiple places to get the entire picture. If you Look at 6.3.C on "Legal Delivery" it states:
  • The pitcher shall not make a stop or reversal of the forward motion after separating the hands.

If the step back occurred after the hands separated, it would be a violation of 6.3.C. Motion has to be forward from the separation of the hands.

Yep, page 142, rules supplement. Wish they would have it all in one place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812