Illegal pitch. Do you still get the base? USSSA/USA/HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
It's not just a ball on the batter...it's a free pitch for the batter. It's like the defense jumping off-sides in football. If the batter makes contact and reaches (at least) 1B, that play stands. If she misses, fouls, or is put out, she goes back to the batter's box with a ball added to the count. If that's ball four, she's heading to 1B. A pitcher not correcting it, and the umpire repeatedly calling it, will bring some problems for the defense pretty quick.

After reading this I have a question for anyone who knows the correct answer. When there is an illegal pitch called and there is a runner on base, can that baserunner still steal on the pitch? If they steal on an illegal pitch, can they be thrown out by the catcher?

If there is no chance of being thrown out because an illegal pitch was called a smart baserunner could try to steal if there in no chance of being thrown out.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
After reading this I have a question for anyone who knows the correct answer. When there is an illegal pitch called and there is a runner on base, can that baserunner still steal on the pitch? If they steal on an illegal pitch, can they be thrown out by the catcher?

If there is no chance of being thrown out because an illegal pitch was called a smart baserunner could try to steal if there in no chance of being thrown out.
it used to be a ball to the batter, and any base runner advanced to the next base.

There was a NCAA Womens College World Series game that was won due to an illegal pitch with bases loaded.

idk what it is now. That’s why I asked. Ive had 2 umps this season tell me they were told not to call it.... BS

Oct 24, 2010

Speaking USSSA (and just about everyone else)

Rule 6 - Section 3 Illegal Pitch
A. Effect: The pitch is declared a ball.
B. If the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners advance at least
one base, the play stands, and the illegal pitch is canceled. No option is
given.
C. If the batter does not reach first base safely or if any runner fails to
advance at least one base, the coach of the offensive team has the option
of taking the result of the play or accepting the effect for an illegal pitch.
D. If a batter is hit by an illegal pitch not swung at, the batter is awarded first
base, and other base runners advance one base, only if forced.
E. If ball four is an illegal pitch, the batter is awarded first base, and other
base runners advance one base, only if forced.

Aug 25, 2019

I believe if the runner successfully steals a base on the illegal pitch, the steal stands and if the illegal pitch was a strike, or if they swung, the strike would stand, but it would be coaches choice, (take the stolen base or a ball) If the runner was thrown out, the coach would take the illegal pitch penalty, which is a ball, and the runner would go back to her previous base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802