Illegal pitch called after pitcher stopped motion due to ball from another field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2018
During a tournament game that was 1-1 a representative from the complex yells “Heads Up” do to a foul coming towards the field we were playing on. There were runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. The pitcher stopped her motion and looked up along with other infielders. The umpire calls an illegal pitch and has both runners advance, which resulted in the runner on third scoring the winning run. The umpire said he didn’t hear it even though everyone else did and the 1st base umpire said nothing. What’s the right call? Should the runners have been allowed to advance?

Apr 30, 2018
I believe the field is live unless the ump calls time. It sucks the ump in the field didn't call no pitch or at least say something to the home plate ump afterwards. Can you appeal an illegal pitch call or is that one of those judgement calls that can't be appealed?

Jun 12, 2015
IME they will usually not call an illegal pitch if the ball actually comes onto the field. That's happened to us several times in different tournaments. Then blue calls time while the nearest fielder throws it back out. But if it's just a response to yelling "Heads up" and there's no ball actually on your field, yeah, I'd think they'd call that. Probably because you hear "heads up" 800 times in a tournament so pitchers have to block that out.

Jun 13, 2018
When the umpire saw that the pitcher was distracted by the heads-up he could have easily and justifiably called time.

Oct 28, 2018
IME they will usually not call an illegal pitch if the ball actually comes onto the field. That's happened to us several times in different tournaments. Then blue calls time while the nearest fielder throws it back out. But if it's just a response to yelling "Heads up" and there's no ball actually on your field, yeah, I'd think they'd call that. Probably because you hear "heads up" 800 times in a tournament so pitchers have to block that out.

Yeah. The guy yelled it through the fence as he was taking pics so it sounded a little different than when someone yells it from the other field.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
If it was blatant and indeed a foul ball wound up on the field of play I as the coach on offense would have tried to talk to the ump and conceded that the IP was a unjustified punishment for what could have been a dangerous situation. I just think it’s the right thing to do especially with a winning run as a consequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
Could have or should have but the bottom line is the ump didn't call time. It's a live game. A ball on the field means nothing unless the umpire calls time to address it.

Also tell your pitchers once they start their motion to complete the pitch (even if it means throwing the ball elsewhere). Injuries can occur otherwise.

Feb 8, 2019
a illegal pitch is not dead ball its dealy dead ball call with usa and babe ruth softball. so say batter hit it... it be nullifed this one should of been no call

Jun 22, 2008
Yes it sucks, but as was said in one of the responses, heads up gets yelled constantly at multiple field complexes. If the ball had actually come onto the field that is one thing, but the pitcher stopping because someone yelled heads up then that is something she should have continued with the pitch.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Could have or should have but the bottom line is the ump didn't call time. It's a live game. A ball on the field means nothing unless the umpire calls time to address it.

Also tell your pitchers once they start their motion to complete the pitch (even if it means throwing the ball elsewhere). Injuries can occur otherwise.

I agree with you on completing the motion, but I am curious about what injuries can occur?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802