Illegal pitch called after pitcher stopped motion due to ball from another field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Umpire didn't call time, so as it stands it is correct (though thankfully most rulesets are finally making illegal pitches just a ball). Since he has made the call, and his partner has not, his partner is not going to say anything without being consulted by the plate official.

Whether calling time was actually justified is a 'had to be there' call. There is the 'heads up' general call you hear all the time - but then there is the ones which are more urgent and different and feel directed directly onto an area you are on. Anyone who has been to the park gets to know which one is which. Also if a lot of balls HAVE been coming into the field, paying attention to those heads up calls should be more important.

The umpire CAN of course call time and if see a lot of distracted players I will - even if I didn't hear something. Also the pitcher HOLDING onto the ball is unusual - I am going to wonder what happened. If I am not sure I may go to my partner without being asked.

It can also depend on the coach reaction as well.
If he comes barreling out screaming he isn't getting anywhere. This isn't hard though most coaches seem to insist on getting it wrong - come out politely, say something along the lines of:

"I saw you called IP because she held the ball. What I saw was that she held the ball because most of the players reacted to the 'headsup' call and stopped because they were concerned they could get hit".

You will likely get two responses to that "I heard that, but in my judgement there was no reason for her to stop" or "I didn't hear that or see the other players stop as well". If the umpire says it was his judgement - well that is the end of the discussion - judgement calls are done deals.

If he didn't hear it or see all the players stop, then he can decide whether or not he should confer with his partner. Which he may or may not though in this circumstance there is probably no reason not to.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So, if the ball is pitched and the batter is distracted, but it was a 3rd strike to end the game, you gonna want to do that over also? Or say the pitch is ripped to RF, but damn near hits the fielder who was distracted and unaware the ball was heading in her direction. Another "do over"? Lets just turn the game into an app and make a load of money. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So, if the ball is pitched and the batter is distracted, but it was a 3rd strike to end the game, you gonna want to do that over also? Or say the pitch is ripped to RF, but damn near hits the fielder who was distracted and unaware the ball was heading in her direction. Another "do over"? Lets just turn the game into an app and make a load of money. :)

Of course not. That is of course ridiculous. Not my fault if an individual gets distracted for no reason or isn't paying attention.

However, if 8 players stop playing mid-pitch for a legitimate reason that they have no control over and I miss that for whatever reason, then I have no problem going out to my partner to find out what happened and making an appropriate call. It isn't a 'do-over'. It is covering the game situation appropriately. Genuinely being concerned a ball is about to bounce off your noggin feels like something I would absolutely want to consider. Lets face it - 99% of the time you see this happening and probably just call it no pitch as it happens.

In this case was it a legitimate reason? I wasn't there so I don't know.

Jan 27, 2019
I live within two rule-sets in officiating. NFHS and USA. We are preached at repeatedly that safety trumps everything else. If an act is deemed unsafe by the umpire it shall not be allowed. I would argue that the benefit of the doubt is on the pitcher in this instance unless there are mitigating circumstances. If, for instance, the opposing team has yelled "heads up" to distract the pitcher in order to cause her to throw an illegal pitch then I would not award the illegal pitch and would issue a warning, restrict to the bench or even eject in severe enough (NFHS rule 3 section 6 article 9 and article 13 b).

If it was an innocent act and/or a ball coming onto the field I would very likely allow the pitcher a pass in the interest of safety I would think. Let's not forget they are children. I do not want to be the one that made the call that got someone hurt.

I agree with these other guys, I was not there so I do not know if this guy had a legitimate reason to make the call. These are just my thoughts.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Or say the pitch is ripped to RF, but damn near hits the fielder who was distracted and unaware the ball was heading in her direction.

Do you listen to the Jerky Boys? There is a call called Trains where this is discussed. Look it up, it's funny, but if swearing offends you DO NOT look it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802