illegal foot work?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
IME with 10U travel so far, they hardly ever call illegal pitches anyway. I've lost count of how many girls we've played against that pitched illegally. Every coach we've played with just lets it go. On our team in the spring we had a team complain about one of our pitchers. She was like our #5 and we put her in because we were way, way up, then they complained. Even though the coach complained and he was right (she did pitch illegally) they still didn't do anything about it. Just FYI, not that I'd count on that because you never know. It does sound illegal.

My DD got called for stepping back in a USSSA 10u tourney.

Jun 12, 2015
Hardly ever, I said. ;)
Regardless I still think they should be learning legal pitching.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2012
NFHS
They can step off of the back of the rubber in school ball.
Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together.

I wouldn't recommend it if they are playing other associations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Many are saying this is legal in HS, but this is likely an illegal pitch according to NFHS rules.

While it's true that the foot can be behind the pitcher's plate, the step backward is what makes it illegal. The rules states "Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together."

Terrible comma usage aside, looks to me like the step is the problem (unless she's stepping before hands come together, but that's not what I take from the OP).

Jun 22, 2008
Many are saying this is legal in HS, but this is likely an illegal pitch according to NFHS rules.

While it's true that the foot can be behind the pitcher's plate, the step backward is what makes it illegal. The rules states "Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together."

Terrible comma usage aside, looks to me like the step is the problem (unless she's stepping before hands come together, but that's not what I take from the OP).

In high school they can start with the stride foot back or step back prior to the hands coming together, but once the hands come together the only step can be forward.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In high school they can start with the stride foot back or step back prior to the hands coming together, but once the hands come together the only step can be forward.

I interpreted the "as she is starting the motion" part of the OP to mean after hands come together, but I could have misinterpreted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom