Illegal Bat Issue Observed at a Tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2019
In NFHS:
Rule 7-4-2 PENALTY:
When the illegal bat is an altered or unapproved bat the batter and head coach are also ejected

The USSSA Ghost is an unapproved bat. This is NFHS not USA, but that's how high school handles the issue.

May 6, 2015
couple of years ago, watching district AS, think it was 13/14s, batter hits a dinger or near dinger (cannot remember), catcher is moving bat, looks at it, notices it is illegal. lets his coach know, coach approaches umpire. Other team/fans start going nuts, calling us cheater, etc. end result, bat/player/caoch ejected. sad thing is, plice had to be called just to make certain fans did not get out of hand.

kicker was, coach during conf said he knew it was illegal, figured he would take the chance. to, right there, should be banned from coaching. willfully cheating by a coach in youth sports goes against what they are supposed to do for out youth.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
kicker was, coach during conf said he knew it was illegal, figured he would take the chance. to, right there, should be banned from coaching. willfully cheating by a coach in youth sports goes against what they are supposed to do for out youth.

Unfortunately, most do know whats going on when they do it. Very seldom is it an honest mistake. Usually there
is someone that knows.

Oct 24, 2010
In NFHS:
Rule 7-4-2 PENALTY:
When the illegal bat is an altered or unapproved bat the batter and head coach are also ejected

The USSSA Ghost is an unapproved bat. This is NFHS not USA, but that's how high school handles the issue.

Correct for NFHS. EcoT wrote, "ASA Rules."

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why was the coach ejected?

Rules say player and coach are ejected.

The head coach is gone because he is responsible for the team being properly equipped. In the pre-game the plate umpire will ask both coaches if their players are legally and properly equipped to play XXXX softball. They both verbally are required to say 'Yes'

Making rules up though with 'replaying of inning'. That is BS

Nov 18, 2015

The head coach is gone because he is responsible for the team being properly equipped. In the pre-game the plate umpire will ask both coaches if their players are legally and properly equipped to play XXXX softball. They both verbally are required to say 'Yes'

Rec game 2 weeks ago - opposing coach answered "to the best of my knowledge".

I had to laugh, as I've known him for several years, and of course, he's a lawyer. (These was 9-10YO teams - I think the only impact an illegal bat would have had would have been a extra mph or two on the ground balls being hit).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Rec game 2 weeks ago - opposing coach answered "to the best of my knowledge".

I had to laugh, as I've known him for several years, and of course, he's a lawyer. (These was 9-10YO teams - I think the only impact an illegal bat would have had would have been a extra mph or two on the ground balls being hit).

Got to love rec and no umpire training.

If I don't get a straight verbal "Yes" from both coaches, we just don't play until I do. No head nods, no qualifiers... a verbal yes. Same with any other question I ask at the pre-game. Part of being professional and taking the role of an official appropriately seriously.

Jul 9, 2016
Why was the coach ejected?

ASA rules I guess.

They are strict.

Girls were hitting home runs and nesx time up the other team questioned the bat.

And tried to get the previous home run disallowed.

Our Coach Just didn't know that you can't use an USSSA Ghost bat in an ASA tournament.

Girl even asked Coach if it was okay to use the bat.......

(and we all know the golden ghost is colder than the blue ghost.)

But the penalty for that day was ejection of both player and Coach for the game.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

Marriard- If coach and player are ejected. How would that affect the line up?

If the team is batting the roster, would the batting order be compressed, as if an injury occurred?

If the team is batting a lineup, can the team insert a substitute (if available) to the line up or do they take an out every time that players spot comes up to bat?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802