If You Could Create the Perfect Coach...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I've got to say I love my dd's new coach this year. I've learned more watching practice this year than I did in the four previous years of softball. I like how he puts the girls in a position to win. He never demeans them, he can tell them how to improve on a bad play without being negative.

After our first tournament, when we had our next practice, his first question to the girls was, "What do you feel you could've done better?"

He also challenges the girls. In practice last night he yelled out, "If you weren't happy with how many plays you received during the games earn more time playing here in practice."

The new coach also makes the girls write papers about softball and he grades them. It makes them learn more about the game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I understand that the initial post ask "if you could describe the perfect coach" and, as we all know, there is no such thing as the perfect coach.

To me this noble concept is demonstrated in this thread. Marc points out a couple of points that he considers "the bad coach" which I disagree with. Of course we are both simply posting opinions and neither is right. Let me make my point, Marc says that two qualities of a "bad coach" are:

" - Believes he is right and his way is the only way (many hitting techniques works and not every pitching technique works for every body type)
- Believes too much in the "my way or the highway" philosophy."

I know Marc has been at this a long time and so I respectfull disagree. As a coach, it is "my way or the highway." Why? I know how to win. What Marc sees as a fault, I see as a strength because when I get a player and/or a team, I know exactly how to take them, mold them, and win with them. Certainly, the case can them be made that I'm about winning. I won't diagree. However, I'd bet that you'd have a very hard time finding a player of mine that would support me as a coach. Natrually, I do understand where Marc is coming from. Marc also disagree with the notion that my way "is the only way." With regards to hitting, I believe that I can take your child and make them better. I work hard at it. I have years of experience and years of success. Is that then a fault? Of course, and I think at least a portion of what Marc's point is, I do try to continue to grow as a coach.

In a way, I covered a portion of this topic at a coaching presentation I made to some 300 area coaches last fall.

Edited: I attempted to upload several documents but were unable to do so due to their size. I apologize.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Since I wasn't here for this post when it first came around, I would like to add a few...

I want a coach that treats my kid just as he would his...not just break them down, but pat her back when she does well too
I want a coach that can realize that not everyone learns at the same pace...what makes sense to some/most may require different wording/approach for others

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Many (rec ball) parents have no idea what makes a good coach, let alone a perfect one. Present company excluded, of course :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee