If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
True, but I think without more JMUs making a deep run the WCWS it becomes less must watch tv. It’s currently great if you’re a fan of a power 5 school.
I like watching 6 sigmas play..it is why I can still watch MLB when many have turned away…

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Long-term player health, long-term player development, developing more pitchers.

Something similar to baseball pitching protocol, volume pitched dictates how much (or little) you can pitch the next day, required rest days, etc.

I know pitch counts in softball isn't a popular take, but I think it's due.
IMHO - Arbitrary pitch counts are a testament to the widespread lack of knowledge of pitching mechanics that permeates the game. Sure it sounds good and makes some folks feel better, but in the end it accomplishes nothing. One could make a compelling argument that it will actually lead to more injuries. Dumbing down the game to the lowest common denominator does not advance the game.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
IMHO - Arbitrary pitch counts are a testament to the widespread lack of knowledge of pitching mechanics that permeates the game. Sure it sounds good and makes some folks feel better, but in the end it accomplishes nothing. One could make a compelling argument that it will actually lead to more injuries. Dumbing down the game to the lowest common denominator does not advance the game.
IMHO- Odd you would say "arbitrary". Arbitrary is what we have now. It is at the whim of the coaches for the largest majority. If pitch counts were put in place it would based on some facts.

Feb 25, 2018
Gotta institute a pitch count protocol before any types of metrics can be used to assess its value or lack thereof. A case could be made that it wouldn't add any value and a case could be made that it would add value. Both speculative right now.

My anecdotal observations in my little corner of the fastpitch world is that there's an over-pitching problem.

Feb 25, 2018
Attached is the pitch count protocol for high school baseball in MA.
Again, I realize a pitch count for softball is like suggesting they run the bases the opposite way . . .

Attachments

• A5B4E629-3320-4FFD-A77F-528ED4C39E10.png
    A5B4E629-3320-4FFD-A77F-528ED4C39E10.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 13
May 17, 2012
There aren't enough pitchers for all of the teams as it is. Restricting them to pitch counts is ridiculous.

Pitch counts in baseball are dumb as well but for other reasons.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So why did they have pitch counts for the pitcher but leave The Catcher in the whole game?
What about the catchers arm?

What about squat counts?
How many squats should a catcher be able to accumulate per game without rest days?

How much running should people in track be allowed to do without rest days?

How many tackles should football players be allowed to tackle each other without rest days?
If a tight end gets tackled 10 times they need to stop playing in the game? Or they're allowed 10 times to be tackled in the entire game or only 15 times during the week what?

Oct 14, 2019
Gotta institute a pitch count protocol before any types of metrics can be used to assess its value or lack thereof. A case could be made that it wouldn't add any value and a case could be made that it would add value. Both speculative right now.

My anecdotal observations in my little corner of the fastpitch world is that there's an over-pitching problem.
Agree. Pitcher use is entirely dependent on team need and not pitcher’s health.

Apr 17, 2019
Off-topic but I remember when I was in high school recuperating from knee surgery, I saw a picture of my mom from when she was my age. She had a full set of braces, headgear, glasses, and played the oboe in the school band. I think she was disappointed I never joined up with the school band. I guess I'd either be risking a finger, lip, or chin injury. :ROFLMAO:

Playing the oboe with braces is no joke! My face is hurting thinking about it, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee