If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Such a great point there Westwind!!!

Reflecting on the opposite side of that important requirement in *having good/effective pitchers
is that we know now in softball there are TONS of more teams now. If we want the ENTIRE competitive level of softball to grow
we need all of the positions *including pitchers to be able to play at upper levels.

Simply if everyone had a competitive pitcher everyone would be more competitive.

Over these decades I see the adjustments being made some of them were good and brought a lot more action with hits and runners. But I do see that there is a limited top-tier that should be larger. As far as competitive teams should be more than 5% at least 30 to 40% seems more applicable to a competitive sport. Or more what do people think on that? There could be a lot more teams putting pressure on trying to get to the College World Series.
I'd like to see softball institute a pitch count protocol. Force teams to throw all their pitchers.

Feb 25, 2018
To what end? Player safety? What do you see the breakdown looking like?

Long-term player health, long-term player development, developing more pitchers.

Something similar to baseball pitching protocol, volume pitched dictates how much (or little) you can pitch the next day, required rest days, etc.

I know pitch counts in softball isn't a popular take, but I think it's due.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211116-195532_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211116-195532_Chrome.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 25
Aug 21, 2008
Will this be used in HS softball
Doubtful. None of the other softball bodies have yet to adopt it so we are spiraling further into chaos where the softball bodies can't agree on a rule. They couldn't even agree when it came to 1 foot on the rubber: start back vs. step back rules.

HS softball should be the least of people's focus. If the other bodies, including NCAA adopt the rule change and HS softball doesn't, it will be yet another reason some of the top players of HS age don't play there.

Feb 25, 2018
Doubtful. None of the other softball bodies have yet to adopt it so we are spiraling further into chaos where the softball bodies can't agree on a rule. They couldn't even agree when it came to 1 foot on the rubber: start back vs. step back rules.

HS softball should be the least of people's focus. If the other bodies, including NCAA adopt the rule change and HS softball doesn't, it will be yet another reason some of the top players of HS age don't play there.
While it might take a while for the HS rule book to change, in reality, a lot of umpires just won't call a leap in a game using the unchanged NFHS rule.
I won't.

May 27, 2013
Long-term player health, long-term player development, developing more pitchers.

Something similar to baseball pitching protocol, volume pitched dictates how much (or little) you can pitch the next day, required rest days, etc.

I’d be concerned if this was implemented in college, especially at the D1 and D2 levels. Softball would need a much bigger budget to carry more than a few PO’s on a team. I’ve see about 40 players on a baseball roster - could college softball be able to do that and still give out decent athletic scholarships?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I’d be concerned if this was implemented in college, especially at the D1 and D2 levels. Softball would need a much bigger budget to carry more than a few PO’s on a team. I’ve see about 40 players on a baseball roster - could college softball be able to do that and still give out decent athletic scholarships?
Baseball has the same number of scholarships as softball. So there will be less money per athlete on average. I think there is a 5% minimum on baseball scholarships so that would probably have to apply here as well. But I doubt softball is going to go where baseball is for pitch counts. Even if there is a day where there are pitch counts. It won’t be at the number of baseball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbdad