Ideal percent of speed change for changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
What percentage of speed change is ideal from a pitchers fastest pitch to her change up?

The best changeups usually have more than just a speed change that makes them effective, but from a speed only perspective, what is ideal?

Mar 15, 2019
California
Percentage of speed change will vary as fastball speed varies by pitcher. Based on my DD's pitching coach and other resources we've looked at, a better indicator of an effective change up (speedwise) is to be around 10 MPH slower than a fastball. Needs to be thrown with same aggressiveness to "sell" it, but as long as it has the 9-12 MPH speed differential from a fastball, it'll be effective.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If people look for around a 10 mph difference on a 60 mph pitch, I think somewhere in the 80-85% range sounds about right (48-51 mph for 60 mph).

Jan 8, 2019
Saw a girl two yrs ago that was throwing 35 mph FAST balls (12U) which threw us off a lot (most pitchers were throwing mid- to upper 40s). Turned out that she also had a CU that was about 10 mph SLOWER that she tested out on my DD first and she about screwed herself into the ground trying to wait for it (2-strike count and it came in over the plate, eventually, so had to go for it). It was the hardest pitcher to adjust to that season, but finally did in about the third inning after a somewhat embarrassing display. So that was closer to a 25-30% drop.

Dec 11, 2010
Perfect! Sports attack is making a machine called I-Hack that has a random setting. Looks like with random setting you get 3 speeds, the speeds appear to be based on a fastball pitch speed. So if I set my fastball speed to 57, I would also have a 60 mph “heater” (their term not mine) and a 47 mph changeup so looks like their change is right on the money....

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Saw a girl two yrs ago that was throwing 35 mph FAST balls (12U) which threw us off a lot (most pitchers were throwing mid- to upper 40s). Turned out that she also had a CU that was about 10 mph SLOWER that she tested out on my DD first and she about screwed herself into the ground trying to wait for it (2-strike count and it came in over the plate, eventually, so had to go for it). It was the hardest pitcher to adjust to that season, but finally did in about the third inning after a somewhat embarrassing display. So that was closer to a 25-30% drop.

I was thinking about this: I think it's likely that 15-20% is not static for all pitch speeds. What I couldn't figure out was if at lower speeds you need a bigger or smaller % difference for it to be most effective.

IOW, If you're throwing 40 mph, is the ideal changeup 32-34 mph (15-20% drop), 30-32 mph (20-25% drop), or something less like 34-36 mph (10-15% drop)? I think I can make a logical argument for all three, but I have no idea how it would play out with actual hitters.

Oct 26, 2019
The harder you throw the less difference you need to be effective. Watch pro baseball and you will see. Throw 90 and you need a change that’s 79-81. Throw 98 and you can get away with a 91-93 mph CU.

Dec 11, 2010
That all makes sense- eons ago when dd was pitching it seems like they were shooting for 15%

Pitching instructor said that if there was too much difference it gave the hitter time to adjust. That I DO remember, lol!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee