Ideal height for pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Bump....and there have been more vertically challenged pitchers proving themselves and their abilities over the last 10 years both in the circle and secondary positions (besides 1B). *Not saying being tall isn't an advantage but...
Don't forget what teams claim some of these pitchers, or players in general, height is might be exaggerated a bit at times. DD stood next to a member of OU's championship team last year, and either I, or the people at OU can't read a tape measure very well.

Jul 16, 2019
There is bias against short in college coaches. My DD is 5-2 in reality although they "spec" her at 5-4. Her pitcher teamates are 5-7 and 5-8 respectively (top 25 DIII program). According to the team catchers she is as fast or faster than her teammates and has as much or more spin/break. She can outlift / out core either of them in the gym. Now she was flat out told by 4 schools during recruiting to forget pitching as she would never step a foot onto the mound at her height. Even her current coach tells her the other pitchers have better speed although her spin/break is better despite what the catchers believe.

SO dont give up but it can be an uphill battle. The reality is if your are 6 foot and in the same condition as a 5-5er chances are those long arms, bigger hands are an advantage. If you are not sure next time you see Bill Hillhouse check your hand finger span versus his. Where his movement comes from will be obvious.

My DD's projected height is 5'3". I can tell you that even 10U travel ball coaches like tall and big girls. They believe that tall and big girls can throw faster and harder despite radar guns telling them otherwise. They are looking at potentials. And they will always give tall and big girls more opportunities.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

Jun 11, 2012
There’s semi local girl that played DI and the roster says she’s 5’ 7”. My DD is the same height as her and is just shy of 5’5”. So not all heights on rosters are correct.

Oct 14, 2019
My DD stood next to Rachel Garcia after a Team America game and she seemed to be shy of 5’4”.

Jun 7, 2016
Coaches are people. People have biases. Some coaches favor (or disfavor) certain body types (tall, "thick" etc) or potential majors or personality types.
Best advice to give to your DD is hard work and persistance (this is usually good advice for most of life :)

May 27, 2013
Too many times college coaches are drawn to the “visual aspect” of pitchers, meaning she “looks” the part. Since dd is at college now, I’m going through the process with my ds - it’s even worse in baseball!!

The shorter pitchers definitely need to outwork their taller peers just to get looked at, no matter how well they throw. It’s amazing how many doors open if you are 6’0 + but haven’t proven anything yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598