Ideal height for pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Rylee Trlicek at Florida is listed at 5’4” and that is being generous.
She is built like a brick outhouse! Strong.

9682022.png

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Coaches are people. People have biases. Some coaches favor (or disfavor) certain body types (tall, "thick" etc) or potential majors or personality types.
Best advice to give to your DD is hard work and persistance (this is usually good advice for most of life :)
Good stuff!
No one size fits all!

👍
Make the most with what we have!

Build muscle strength!
💪

And use this
🫀💯%

Nov 18, 2013
Things I heard for years:

Tall pitchers are overrated. They don’t put in anywhere near the work of smaller girls. They might be fast, but that doesn’t mean they’re good. They can’t spin the ball or throw strikes as well as their smaller counterparts. They’re too awkward and slow to field their position. My favorite was she should give it up and play basketball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Since my last post in this thread was 11 years ago according to forum rules I am allowed to post another reply.

Tiny DD was relegated to an inning eating pitcher in school ball, I think it was because her size. Do to some Ps getting hurt she got to start a couple games.

Team was 6-6, DD was the winning P in all 6 games. HCs, who we liked, were no fools and gave her more opportunities.

When you are small just getting the opportunity to prove yourself can be a challenge.

May 27, 2013
Purely anecdotal but been to two camps at schools in the Northeast where I watched at least 2 smaller pitchers dance circles around the 6’0 pitchers during games. Guess who they took - the taller pitchers - who both got hit hard. I just (possibly wrongly) assume the coaches feel they can fix things with the bigger pitchers where they will be able to throw better once they get to the college.

Oct 14, 2019
A good short pitcher is better than a bad tall pitcher. A good tall pitcher is likely better than a good short pitcher. No need to overthink it. And I don’t buy into any argument that smaller pitchers work harder or have more heart than taller pitchers. Short and tall pitchers work hard.

A school like Alabama can pick and choose its athletes. To narrow the pool, they might as well set minimum criteria of size and pitching speed. There’s plenty of room for girls of all sizes when you take into account all the schools that play collegiate softball.

May 27, 2013
A good short pitcher is better than a bad tall pitcher. A good tall pitcher is likely better than a good short pitcher. No need to overthink it. And I don’t buy into any argument that smaller pitchers work harder or have more heart than taller pitchers. Short and tall pitchers work hard.

A school like Alabama can pick and choose its athletes. To narrow the pool, they might as well set minimum criteria of size and pitching speed. There’s plenty of room for girls of all sizes when you take into account all the schools that play collegiate softball.

Not saying the taller pitchers don’t work hard - but I do believe smaller pitchers have to work harder to prove themselves.

Not overthinking it at all - as a recruiting coordinator I’m surprised every time by which girls on our team go where depending on metrics alone.