I was accused of cheating (indirectly)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
I'm coaching a 10U rec team. I'm a big believer in moving players around and letting everyone play a lot of positions, pitching a lot of pitchers, and mixing up the batting order so the same girls aren't always at the bottom. As a result, we ended the regular season 3-9 and 5th place in a 6 team league.

The playoffs started last weekend, double-elimination. I coach to win in the playoffs so only our best 2 or 3 pitchers pitch (it's a 3 inning limit so at least two have to pitch), our best fielders play the infield, and our best hitters are on the top of the lineup. We played four games last Saturday and won three, which put us in the loser bracket final today against the #2 seed. We gave them a really good game and ended up losing 10-9 in extra innings.

During the game, the other HC asked me a few times “Did you add some players? I don’t recall seeing some of them when we played previously.” I responded every time "no, we just finally have everyone together at a game." Then after the game, one of our parents heard him telling his team “they added a bunch of players last week for the playoffs” so she told him “no we didn’t.” He asked her which team she was with and she said ours, and he quickly said “I was talking about another team.” Yeah right. I don’t mind losing, but I really don’t appreciate being accused of cheating. And if you are going to imply I'm cheating, say it directly to my face.

And for the record, I went back through our scorebook and my lineup sheets, and every player played in at least one of our games against them during the season, and all but two played in both.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I'm coaching a 10U rec team. I'm a big believer in moving players around and letting everyone play a lot of positions, pitching a lot of pitchers, and mixing up the batting order so the same girls aren't always at the bottom. As a result, we ended the regular season 3-9 and 5th place in a 6 team league.

The playoffs started last weekend, double-elimination. I coach to win in the playoffs so only our best 2 or 3 pitchers pitch (it's a 3 inning limit so at least two have to pitch), our best fielders play the infield, and our best hitters are on the top of the lineup. We played four games last Saturday and won three, which put us in the loser bracket final today against the #2 seed. We gave them a really good game and ended up losing 10-9 in extra innings.

During the game, the other HC asked me a few times “Did you add some players? I don’t recall seeing some of them when we played previously.” I responded every time "no, we just finally have everyone together at a game." Then after the game, one of our parents heard him telling his team “they added a bunch of players last week for the playoffs” so she told him “no we didn’t.” He asked her which team she was with and she said ours, and he quickly said “I was talking about another team.” Yeah right. I don’t mind losing, but I really don’t appreciate being accused of cheating. And if you are going to imply I'm cheating, say it directly to my face.

And for the record, I went back through our scorebook and my lineup sheets, and every player played in at least one of our games against them during the season, and all but two played in both.
Good job coach. (y)

Feb 21, 2017
If it makes you feel any better I did pretty much the same thing ended up last in a 6-8 team league and then won the playoffs. I also heard sour grapes but I 100% believe the moving kids around and making them all feel they were important and valued was the key to the eventual success.

Too bad you didn’t win but know you did the right thing, you coached for the kids not yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

This looks like your doing a fanfastic job and paying attention!

Unfortunately no matter what you do there probably/possibly will always be parents to complain. What they don't understand often comes out as accusations and incorrect assumptions, and knitpicking how someone else should coach...while they sit in their lawn chairs on the phone...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
About once a week, someone accused my DDs of being too old for their age group. We had to carry birth certificates in our glove compartment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28