I remember respecting Jessica Mendoza

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I am not familiar with the official baseball rules- can someone (a Blue would be great!) point out where the rules prohibit stealing signs? Honestly, i dont know what the rules are on this but i know i am like one of the only coaches i know who does not do this.

The rule book specifies that the use of mechanical methods of stealing signs is illegal and the league office has made some provisions to make electronic sign stealing illegal as well, although it's not in the rule book officially that I know of. Doing it the old-fashioned way isn't against the rules, written or otherwise.

is stealing signs like When one college softball pitcher is allowed to leap and replant her way to championships and awards? even though Everyone knows there are rules against it and penalties dictated, but its still allowed?

If you're asking if ruling bodies for sports all turn a blind eye to rule breaking when it's convenient and helps the brand make money? Yes, it's exactly the same.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My guess is the rules against electronic sign stealing were originally created to prevent the home team from putting an extra TV camera in CF and training it solely on the opposing catcher's signs. That would be an unfair advantage, because the home team could do it and the visiting team could not. If the home team was willing to share the feed (and why would they be?) it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Now in the age of mobile devices it's far easier for the person in CF with the binoculars to steal the sign and convey it to the dugout. Both sides could do that so it probably ought to be allowed. To me it would be no different than the runner on second or the bench players trying to pick the sign or location or both and conveying it to the hitter, which is allowed.

I will say in this day and age, though, how wonderful that we have this controversy available to distract us from what's going on in the real world for a little while.

May 6, 2015
thinking of the guy with binoculars in CF, is this possibly why some MLB parks no longer have stands in CF (thinking of CBP in PHL in particular, but I know there are others with waterfalls, pools, etc. instead of seating).

Jun 8, 2016
thinking of the guy with binoculars in CF, is this possibly why some MLB parks no longer have stands in CF (thinking of CBP in PHL in particular, but I know there are others with waterfalls, pools, etc. instead of seating).
Think that has more to do with the background for the hitter.

Jul 22, 2015
What are they going to do to fix the problem?
I'm guessing the idea is to make the punishment so harsh that no one wants to even give the appearance of violating the rule in much the same way they treat gambling. Every clubhouse has a sign letting you know you'll be kicked out for gambling on baseball and many players won't even talk about gambling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802