I remember respecting Jessica Mendoza

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I hope nobody interprets me banging on the fence in RF/LF when my DD is up as cheating.. I don't want to have to find another place to sit.
I haven't tried it myself yet to verify, but I've heard that a key part of that technique is to do the banging before the pitch is thrown...

Oct 5, 2015
Sing this to billy joel’s we didn’t start the fire. Saw it on twitter

A.J. Hinch, crossed the line

Luhnow gone, heavy fine

Draft picks lost, rings are not

Owner sad for getting caught

Crane denied part in team's

Making up the banging scheme

Taubman censured in the text

Cora, Beltran might be next

We didn't blame Mike Fiers….

Oct 3, 2019
Seems like something like this, directly impacts a pitcher's livlihood. Why are more of them not speaking up?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
For those of you interested in baseball history you can read The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow and Mike Duca. Overall the book was kind of meh but it had it's moments. Stuff like this has been going on like this on a lower tech scale since, well probably since Abner Doubleday was credited with inventing the game.

One story, I forget exactly who but the front office told the manager that so and so pitcher for the other team was cheating. The manager said, well don't tell the ump because our starter has been doing that all season.

Mar 28, 2014

A player involved in an electronic cheating scandal came forward to help expose the bad actors. Regardless of what anyone thinks about sign stealing using electronic devices, it's against the rules of the game. Jessica Mendoza is certainly allowed to feel whatever she wants about the sanctity of the locker room, but her position speaks to a serious character flaw.

We all have different values and belief systems, but it's never the wrong time to do the right thing. Call him out for participating in and benefiting from cheating, but Mike Fiers is not the bad guy for revealing his own role in the malfeasance.

Is the sanctity of the locker room more important than the integrity of the game?

I agree with her 1000% %. If he was so against it, why did he accept his World Series ring? Should have made a stand then.

Apr 28, 2019

A player involved in an electronic cheating scandal came forward to help expose the bad actors. Regardless of what anyone thinks about sign stealing using electronic devices, it's against the rules of the game. Jessica Mendoza is certainly allowed to feel whatever she wants about the sanctity of the locker room, but her position speaks to a serious character flaw.

We all have different values and belief systems, but it's never the wrong time to do the right thing. Call him out for participating in and benefiting from cheating, but Mike Fiers is not the bad guy for revealing his own role in the malfeasance.

Is the sanctity of the locker room more important than the integrity of the game?

I agree. JM seems like a really nice person and was a Great player. I don’t think she brings anything to the table in the booth for softball/baseball broadcasts.
Cheating is cheating no matter when it’s revealed or who reveals it. If you don’t want to get caught play by the rules.
I will say stealing signs is part of the game. Did the Astros take it too far? I would say yes. Develop your players and make them better. Worry less about the other team and what they are doing.

Feb 8, 2019
I am not familiar with the official baseball rules- can someone (a Blue would be great!) point out where the rules prohibit stealing signs? Honestly, i dont know what the rules are on this but i know i am like one of the only coaches i know who does not do this.

is stealing signs like When one college softball pitcher is allowed to leap and replant her way to championships and awards? even though Everyone knows there are rules against it and penalties dictated, but its still allowed?

Jun 8, 2016
I am not familiar with the official baseball rules- can someone (a Blue would be great!) point out where the rules prohibit stealing signs? Honestly, i dont know what the rules are on this but i know i am like one of the only coaches i know who does not do this.

is stealing signs like When one college softball pitcher is allowed to leap and replant her way to championships and awards? even though Everyone knows there are rules against it and penalties dictated, but its still allowed?
Using human beings only to steal signs has been around forever in baseball and isn't against the rules (at least in HS,college and the pros). In college our coach would assign a few players on the bench to try and pick the third base coach's signs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28