I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I'll try to get some. Her coach teaches palm up after snap essentially - basically continuing her whip through the ball. I'm not a big stickler on this as long as she gets good snap instead of stiff wrist.
This does not compute with I/R or snap or revfire or any thing remotely approaching good technique, it only makes sense if you are thinking about HE and wrist flips. Proper whip, snap and follow through are going to put you palm down (you might argue a rise leaves your palm up but I don't think that's what you mean). Go back to the 9 o'clock drill from java and see if you think there is any way to do this properly and finish palm up?

Hopefully this is a misunderstanding because if you are being taught palm up at follow through its not I/R or anything close to sound mechanics and if you DD is trying to achieve this it could explain why she wants to turn the ball at 9 o'clock so she can achieve this follow through of palm up.

If you could get some good video and start a thread I think you will get the feedback you are looking for.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020
This does not compute with I/R or snap or revfire or any thing remotely approaching good technique, it only makes sense if you are thinking about HE and wrist flips. Proper whip, snap and follow through are going to put you palm down (you might argue a rise leaves your palm up but I don't think that's what you mean). Go back to the 9 o'clock drill from java and see if you think there is any way to do this properly and finish palm up?

Hopefully this is a misunderstanding because if you are being taught palm up at follow through its not I/R or anything close to sound mechanics and if you DD is trying to achieve this it could explain why she wants to turn the ball at 9 o'clock so she can achieve this follow through of palm up.

If you could get some good video and start a thread I think you will get the feedback you are looking for.

Many apologies - This video explains her whip, snap, and follow through I'm describing better. Thanks for the reply.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^ I use this video all the time to demo good mechanics what about this is "PALM UP"??...sounds like definitely a misunderstanding of what you were talking about or what you were trying to explain your DD coach saying...sorry if I misunderstood

Mar 23, 2020
^^^ I use this video all the time to demo good mechanics what about this is "PALM UP"??...sounds like definitely a misunderstanding of what you were talking about or what you were trying to explain your DD coach saying...sorry if I misunderstood
Sorry, it can be very confusing. The last few seconds of the video where you see her fully finish her pitching motion she finishes palm up. It's not thrown palm up, but her finish is. Hope that makes sense.

Sep 29, 2014
It makes sense now but that part of the follow through is so after the fact its not really relevant but I do see what you mean but really wanna focus on the first 5 frames of this action.amanda snap and thru.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802