I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
JJ you said you were taught by Eddie Feigner. Here is a clip of Eddie throwing a pitch taken from a video of him talking about the evolution of fastpitch. Can you see the hand finish palm down? I can.

Wow very clear IR, Palm down finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2020
My dd has been pitching for 4 yrs and started to learn ir back in Jan 2019. She is pretty good with the lock it in and 9 o'clock drills but she is having trouble getting her arm in the right position during full pitching. She pronates way too early and doesn't come close to elbow down, palm up.. She has always been told by her pc fast arm speed. I'm just wondering if slowing her arm down to reach elbow down, palm up is a good idea? Also, her arm is past 12 o'clock when she detaches from the mound. Is this something we would want to address now or just focus on elbow down, palm up? Any help would be appreciated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My dd has been pitching for 4 yrs and started to learn ir back in Jan 2019. She is pretty good with the lock it in and 9 o'clock drills but she is having trouble getting her arm in the right position during full pitching. She pronates way too early and doesn't come close to elbow down, palm up.. She has always been told by her pc fast arm speed. I'm just wondering if slowing her arm down to reach elbow down, palm up is a good idea? Also, her arm is past 12 o'clock when she detaches from the mound. Is this something we would want to address now or just focus on elbow down, palm up? Any help would be appreciated.
Make a video of her from 3B and post it in a new thread. My guess is that you will get a lot more help.

Sep 29, 2014
Just a novice here but slowing down never the right direction to go unless she is really got some odd jerky type action which isn't really typical.

As far as being past 12 when she releases from the mound that is really late I would have to see that to figure out what is up but definitely something off with her sequence if it is the case.

Jul 31, 2019
Progression

By the time my students have become fairly proficient at throwing the ball underhand, we progress to the "Liberty Drill"......Simply MORE of the same? Well, an uneducated person might think so. But remember what I said previously.

Who's on first?

"And isolation WITH progression leads to continued non-isolated motor learning of the parts previously isolated."

In other words, when we progress NOT TO FAR, but just far enough, the learned motor skill is "close enough" to the whole of the next drill that it is CLEARLY still represented in that drill.........

For example, IF I allowed my student to progress to FULL MOTION practice drills from this point, the learned I/R motor skill would be so far away (at the end) from the full motion drill, I/R would deteriorate. I NEVER WANT I/R to deteriorate at the expense of progressing to far to fast.

Liberty Side and Rear......If you'll notice, this drill closely mimics the actions of the Magician drill:

y4mMTXIaPYMO3q0FEz3bM9WUJnyXytX8NMTllUTpY7mL_kcJg645DLJXHIUo45B-uLz41WRHcvdRR8GpM5PAfjTT4v4LcIIN1ezGvdtMw4ivR-2qAG153WZ-OQB-lhXqlFk2WScJSBBK_-hmy0WRuTDqW4m3yvnbld4Jv5ewTjgI1FbEfeni7mN3GD2XsembQumnpwGoJtgDLqo0UbFRlEndg
y4mMTXIaPYMO3q0FEz3bM9WUJnyXytX8NMTllUTpY7mL_kcJg645DLJXHIUo45B-uLz41WRHcvdRR8GpM5PAfjTT4v4LcIIN1ezGvdtMw4ivR-2qAG153WZ-OQB-lhXqlFk2WScJSBBK_-hmy0WRuTDqW4m3yvnbld4Jv5ewTjgI1FbEfeni7mN3GD2XsembQumnpwGoJtgDLqo0UbFRlEndg

Thanks to my wife who brought her glove to work and caught for the first time in 20 years so I could film these drills at work........With the sun in her eyes no less!

After proficiency at Liberty, we move on to "Show it And Throw it"........Or the 12:00 Drill........

This drill helps the student progress to what I consider the most important part of the pitching motion......WITHOUT sacrificing emphasis on I/R.......This drill places emphasis on ball position at the top and the "pull down" in the motion WITH an I/R delivery..........

y4mh9S75gsfvmss7iqt6ruOpeP6R8fd7AwOn_q514ZgJ5n6sOnHyHPJ1l8DPEk_ek7PF6H6XWH1FkBwT7sz9LCIIlxoNUy_QBuwpwQs0UbZ1Bq9XHNRoRAiTnLZWm_G0Ume5cR2kaZYNgp2JKxlNgkQBYkj4I-Y7-LfUM8pbAALW-BpRrrw5r2SyDo0O8zE29P-qXH9xeMM24BEiFu1OYnKLg

Then on to relaxed "long toss" full circle drills.......

y4mqfqeKv6FKGynKdx0Xb0jn7etwp7f5L__SBGVG603q-P60z-NRLE4q8nmlxfU2Srr7t4Nojlxa9t34rzommJkKamRlJghOmoA3uGmtrxPGpLzQcNag4TW8eC-dnTQCDMuAmzjm8exAe-txYaymVdipqcdVgtWjxAwMiaEzyLEz2bw-W36WoI62t_iRWiol5DIWmv0GzdqvfOj1JQ8TU7PhQ

I hope these visuals help you to gain a better understanding of what I write about concerning I/R delivery and the importance of learning to "throw a ball underhand" before learning to be a pitcher.

One thing I've learned over my 30 or so years of teaching fastpitch. I could spend 3-6 months on posture, grip, wind-up and leg drive, only to find out you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THROW THE BALL in the first place........

Progressive training side effects include helping to train arm circle, posture and delivery methods that ensure the end product produces expected results.

Last.......Train them from WHERE THEY ARE.........NOT WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO BE.......
Is there a reason that you limit what the glove does in these drills?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478