I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2017
O-H! I-O!
Hi BM,

In this statement...."By the time my students have become fairly proficient at throwing the ball underhand, we progress to the "Liberty Drill"....."

In your view, can you provide some examples that you see as "fairly proficient" for the LII or 9 o'clock drills?

My DD biggest challenges of consistency are follow through and position of the ball, i.e. palm under but sometimes there is an over E/R at 9 o'clock and the trajectory is further right upon release. I'd like to gage my DD and her CTW/spin/location, etc. prior to becoming too fast in the progressions in training. I think that she is fairly proficient but I ask that you provide an example or two or three..... :D

Thank you in advance!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think LII="Lock it in," but can't figure out "CTW." Oddly, this is what came to mind:

0ca027e2afc73497305b8d483966fe8b.jpg

Not speaking for El Hefe, but I'd suggest progressing as she's ready. If going to the next level is too much, back off and work back up to it. Depending on the step, this can take minutes, go back and forth a few days, or maybe a couple weeks. Each kid is different and will progress at different speeds. Sometimes all will be well for a while, then you might find you need to back chain a little to reinforce a something. Use slow motion video if you have that option to help ensure all is well along the way.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017
O-H! I-O!
Ja. Vielen Danke. CTW = Catch the Whip.

I figured with all the acronyms on the board, that I would just continue the norm. :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2012
Looks like Finch is a little more open with her hips than Sara in looking at bot videos.
Board Member. I'm looking at the way you are S/R the ball and rolling your wrist. Somehow to me that just don't look right. I'm 77 and still trying to throw to demonstrate but I sure don't roll my wrist like that.

Dec 5, 2017
So glad I took the time this morning to read through this thread. My dd started wanting to pitch last fall to get ready for this fall when she ages up. A friend who was a pretty good pitcher in HS and at a d2 school gave her a couple of lessons and then we sporadically worked on what she showed her. I've watched her try to do the HE style that she was shown while, unknowingly, fighting against her natural IR. I would sit and catch and see her IR and think that she just had a weird style of throwing. She actually stopped practicing because it wasn't fun and her shoulder was hurting sometimes. Last week and again this week she said she wants to pitch. I will be using what is available on this thread to work with her until I can get her to a pc that teaches IR. I actually just had a friend tell me his daughters pc is teaching it to her and that she really likes her. I will be calling her asap! Thanks for all the valuable info and for taking the time to post it all. My dd may never become a great pitcher but at least,thanks to this thread, it won't be because of her dumb dad.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Mike, the emphasis is less on actually "locking in" the elbow at the side (although it shouldn't be allowed to move back/away), and more on stabilizing the upper arm by locking (holding) the the inside of the bicep to the peck region of the side.......

Such great advice and direction. Probably missed by many but hopefully this bump might help someone.

STABILIZE UPPER ARM BY HOLDING INSIDE OF BICEP TO THE PECK REGION.

not many talk about this and sure it will create some thoughts and questions. Hope BM may be around to answer as this is great stuff! Some get it but my guess is many don't.

NeverStopLearning

Eager to learn
Dec 8, 2018
Roll Tide!
This is great stuff. I've been coaching my DD since age 4, we just moved into 10U this fall with our true 9 year old team. Our pitchers have all taken lessons from various PC's around town but none have ever mentioned I/R, always teach HE, and it's been accepted practice since they're the "known" PC's. Lots of high pitches, and just not having good explanations for some of those mechanics other than that's just how it is. I've been trying to research and read/watch videos heavily since our Fall season ended and by luck the I/R bat drill video popped up in the rotation. I saw it and googled I/R and took off form there (BM, Schonberg, Tincher, Hillhouse, etc. all opened up a completely new world to me.) My mind was blown. Finally an approach and movements that make sense to me with the natural movements of the arm and body.

I've found a local Tincher PC and contacted FP about virtual lessons (Forearm Fire), looking to learn and teach DD this approach and take it to our other pitchers also. They're all still young and first season pitchers so now's the time.....will see what parents think as everyone has their opinions I know, I'm sold though. Thanks so much for great instruction and helping improve pitching in the world of fastpitch!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Welcome to DFP! I really like your screen name. My hope is that in one year from now, you can look back at what you wholeheartedly taught and wish you knew now what you'll know then!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802