I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Happy to hear it........If it helps ONE kid.......or ONE PC......It was worth the time.........
Well, your post definately helped this guy. To make matters worse I copied all of them an emailed them to all my friends who have kids interested in pitching. Of course, I changed your name to mine and called them the "best" pitching mechanics, ever! ;)

May 18, 2009
I'm having trouble getting my DD to do these drills. She does do internal rotation but her hand rolls over quickly at the release point. Her fastball is more of a rollover drop or curve depending on how much her hand rotates inward at release. It has great speed for her age and good movement. I think she would be much faster if I could get follow through. Is there any way to "quiet" her shoulder and hips down. She wants to snap shut/close the door.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm having trouble getting my DD to do these drills. She does do internal rotation but her hand rolls over quickly at the release point. Her fastball is more of a rollover drop or curve depending on how much her hand rotates inward at release. It has great speed for her age and good movement. I think she would be much faster if I could get follow through. Is there any way to "quiet" her shoulder and hips down. She wants to snap shut/close the door.

Try to get her to focus on dropping her throwing shoulder or keeping it low. It's very very hard to get kids to do something with negative instruction. IE, if you just tell her "don't push your shoulder through" you won't get anywhere. If you give her something to actually do with her shoulder, then you will have much more success. It's impossible to drop the shoulder low, trying to release the pitch as low to the ground as possible, and still pull the shoulder through closing the door. Give it a try and see if it helps.

-W

May 18, 2009
Try to get her to focus on dropping her throwing shoulder or keeping it low. It's very very hard to get kids to do something with negative instruction. IE, if you just tell her "don't push your shoulder through" you won't get anywhere. If you give her something to actually do with her shoulder, then you will have much more success. It's impossible to drop the shoulder low, trying to release the pitch as low to the ground as possible, and still pull the shoulder through closing the door. Give it a try and see if it helps.

-W

We worked a little tonight. I didn't try this technique but I will add this into the mix, thank you. I held my glove up above my head and had her use that as the target. It seemed to work fairly well.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Fantastic thread BM! Thank you for sharing. I second making it a sticky.

Amy...that must be a pitcher thing....DD always chooses the field where i get the sun! :)

Jun 21, 2010
BoardMember,
Super post and thread as is the other I/R post.
I have two duaghters playing softball 11 & 7. The 7yo is always wanting to pitch to me and what she knows she picked up from the older girls all of whom take pitching lessons. I haven't noticed any I/R with any of them. I have noticed it in the better 14ish on up girls at the ball parks but didn't know what was different just that it was. They seemed to have some kind of whipping action going on. I assumed it was due to age, strength and experience. Being assistant coach, I do a fair amount of fastpitch BP but never had any of the whip/torque I observed in the older girls.

A friend with an aspiring 13yo pitcher asked if my aspiring 11yo catcher would catch some for her yesterday. We did and I noticed she needed a bit of help. I have basically no experience in FP pitching to help her so I searched this sight and found the I/R thread today (and this one also). I went through the no ball routines in the older I/R thread paying attention to the gif's and thought I needed to try this out in the basement (everybody was gone but me). So I did and after 6 or 8 pitches the light came on and the ball was zipping out of my hand. Now that's what it should feel like!! ZIP BAM! hitting the tarp!! Before I was just weekly pushing it through.
I Like to verify things myself before I try and show them to DD's or other kids. I think this will be a great help for my friends daughter and for my 7yo if she stays interested in pitching. I told my wife what I discovered due to your generosity with this info and the first thing she said was "you need to teach it to the (7yo)".
Again thanks for the great info!

Jul 14, 2008
Glad I could help Stone...........And you're right........ZIP-BAM! is how it should feel............:)

That's what makes it fun!

Jul 14, 2008
Since this is my thread........Just a note........If you choose to write derogatory messages to me or anyone else on this board, such as the following from a Screwball:

"So go for it BM and make it sound like you are the savior and expert on it. I asked if you were ever a pitcher and you never answered so I guess that means NO."

IMO, you are purposefully soliciting a reactionary negative response that may cause threads to be closed........Especially from me........:)

If you'd like to disagree or debate philosophy, teaching method or mechanics, stick to the content........;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478