I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 29, 2012
This is great, though having trouble with terminology. The video clips are a big help. My DD is 9 and just started pitching this year. I'm working on closing her delivery (if I'm using the proper terminology). She currently pitches straight ahead but she is quite accurate and has a decent velocity. I know this isn't the proper way and she won't improve mush as she moves forward. I look forward to helping her with this I/R approach when travel ball is over so she'll be a new and improved pitcher come next spring.
Thanks for posting this. This site is awesome. I've learned so much and I played modified fast pitch and fast pitch softball for nearly 30 years.

Jul 14, 2008
Progression

By the time my students have become fairly proficient at throwing the ball underhand, we progress to the "Liberty Drill"......Simply MORE of the same? Well, an uneducated person might think so. But remember what I said previously.

Who's on first?

"And isolation WITH progression leads to continued non-isolated motor learning of the parts previously isolated."

In other words, when we progress NOT TO FAR, but just far enough, the learned motor skill is "close enough" to the whole of the next drill that it is CLEARLY still represented in that drill.........

For example, IF I allowed my student to progress to FULL MOTION practice drills from this point, the learned I/R motor skill would be so far away (at the end) from the full motion drill, I/R would deteriorate. I NEVER WANT I/R to deteriorate at the expense of progressing to far to fast.

Liberty Side and Rear......If you'll notice, this drill closely mimics the actions of the Magician drill:

y4mMTXIaPYMO3q0FEz3bM9WUJnyXytX8NMTllUTpY7mL_kcJg645DLJXHIUo45B-uLz41WRHcvdRR8GpM5PAfjTT4v4LcIIN1ezGvdtMw4ivR-2qAG153WZ-OQB-lhXqlFk2WScJSBBK_-hmy0WRuTDqW4m3yvnbld4Jv5ewTjgI1FbEfeni7mN3GD2XsembQumnpwGoJtgDLqo0UbFRlEndg
y4mMTXIaPYMO3q0FEz3bM9WUJnyXytX8NMTllUTpY7mL_kcJg645DLJXHIUo45B-uLz41WRHcvdRR8GpM5PAfjTT4v4LcIIN1ezGvdtMw4ivR-2qAG153WZ-OQB-lhXqlFk2WScJSBBK_-hmy0WRuTDqW4m3yvnbld4Jv5ewTjgI1FbEfeni7mN3GD2XsembQumnpwGoJtgDLqo0UbFRlEndg

Thanks to my wife who brought her glove to work and caught for the first time in 20 years so I could film these drills at work........With the sun in her eyes no less!

After proficiency at Liberty, we move on to "Show it And Throw it"........Or the 12:00 Drill........

This drill helps the student progress to what I consider the most important part of the pitching motion......WITHOUT sacrificing emphasis on I/R.......This drill places emphasis on ball position at the top and the "pull down" in the motion WITH an I/R delivery..........

y4mh9S75gsfvmss7iqt6ruOpeP6R8fd7AwOn_q514ZgJ5n6sOnHyHPJ1l8DPEk_ek7PF6H6XWH1FkBwT7sz9LCIIlxoNUy_QBuwpwQs0UbZ1Bq9XHNRoRAiTnLZWm_G0Ume5cR2kaZYNgp2JKxlNgkQBYkj4I-Y7-LfUM8pbAALW-BpRrrw5r2SyDo0O8zE29P-qXH9xeMM24BEiFu1OYnKLg

Then on to relaxed "long toss" full circle drills.......

y4mqfqeKv6FKGynKdx0Xb0jn7etwp7f5L__SBGVG603q-P60z-NRLE4q8nmlxfU2Srr7t4Nojlxa9t34rzommJkKamRlJghOmoA3uGmtrxPGpLzQcNag4TW8eC-dnTQCDMuAmzjm8exAe-txYaymVdipqcdVgtWjxAwMiaEzyLEz2bw-W36WoI62t_iRWiol5DIWmv0GzdqvfOj1JQ8TU7PhQ

I hope these visuals help you to gain a better understanding of what I write about concerning I/R delivery and the importance of learning to "throw a ball underhand" before learning to be a pitcher.

One thing I've learned over my 30 or so years of teaching fastpitch. I could spend 3-6 months on posture, grip, wind-up and leg drive, only to find out you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THROW THE BALL in the first place........

Progressive training side effects include helping to train arm circle, posture and delivery methods that ensure the end product produces expected results.

Last.......Train them from WHERE THEY ARE.........NOT WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO BE.......

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Boardmember, keep it coming. Pure Gold!

If you are teaching a beginner, is the underhand throw utilizing IR the first thing you have them work on, before getting into footwork, etc? I ask because I help run pitching clinics for our local little league and am always looking for new drill ideas for the new 7 and 8 year olds who are interested in pitching.

Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember, keep it coming. Pure Gold!

If you are teaching a beginner, is the underhand throw utilizing IR the first thing you have them work on, before getting into footwork, etc? I ask because I help run pitching clinics for our local little league and am always looking for new drill ideas for the new 7 and 8 year olds who are interested in pitching.

Tom, clinic environments for young kids are so much different then personalized coaching. In personalized coaching you are painting a Picasso. In a beginning clinic environment you are painting a "bill-board"........."Broad-brush" so to speak. Just trying to give the kids a "taste" of the full motion involved.

Heck, many kids are just there to figure out whether they even like or want to pitch........And many are there so the parents can have some "alone time".........

If I were you, I'd have 2 or 3 instructors at a clinic. Identify those kids (by having them play catch underhand) who show a propensity for pitching. Take them aside and teach them I/R. Send the others with the 2 other "basic" instructors to learn a broad brush approach to pitching........

Aug 2, 2008
It must be properly positioned in close to the body and vertical in order for the forearm to internally rotate on the tightest radius possible.

"IT" is the upper arm and elbow,

How much emphasis do you put on the elbow into the side for the lock it in drill? and when they progress to the more active drills how is the elbow into the side addressed? or is it a no teach?

Do you use these as everyday or warm up drills for more advanced pitchers?

Thanks for continuing to beat the drum!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"Here Honey, stand with your back against this wall and look into the sun. I want to throw a softball 40 mph, at you."

In all seriousness, thanks for the videos.

Jul 14, 2008
"IT" is the upper arm and elbow,

How much emphasis do you put on the elbow into the side for the lock it in drill?

Mike, the emphasis is less on actually "locking in" the elbow at the side (although it shouldn't be allowed to move back/away), and more on stabilizing the upper arm by locking (holding) the the inside of the bicep to the peck region of the side........And for good reason. The upper arm/elbow/forearm should ALL be free to "rotate" externally and internally. Locking the elbow to the side limits the upper arms ability to rotate freely in the shoulder joint.

and when they progress to the more active drills how is the elbow into the side addressed? or is it a no teach?

As they progress, while the elbow does lead the downswing, I don't place emphasis bringing it "into" the side. Again, the elbow must be free to rotate with the upper arm/forearm.

Do you use these as everyday or warm up drills for more advanced pitchers?

9:00, Liberty, and Show it/Throw it are drills used in everyday warm up depending on proficiency of the student. We ALWAYS do some sort of drill(s) that emphasize Internal Rotation as the baseline for throwing a softball underhand, to build motor skills and muscle tone.

Thanks for continuing to beat the drum!!!

My pleasure..........:)

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
BM I (we) can't thank you enough for these posts. Two days of practicing these drills have completely rejuvenated DD's confidence. At the end of today's session DD was throwing bullets straight to the glove. It's been a long season for us, and your help could not have come at a better time.

Jul 14, 2008
BM I (we) can't thank you enough for these posts. Two days of practicing these drills have completely rejuvenated DD's confidence. At the end of today's session DD was throwing bullets straight to the glove. It's been a long season for us, and your help could not have come at a better time.

Happy to hear it........If it helps ONE kid.......or ONE PC......It was worth the time.........

May 13, 2012
For what it worth I thought I would share. DD 12yr old started pitching a little last year. worked with coach since christmas had to quit in april due to sched. got into season. local coach started helping her for free to help our allstar team. I watched as accuracy got some help (and needs alot of help) but velocity went down. found this site and found out they were teaching hello elbow. Quit going to the coach. Me and her started back on IR. Velocity has come back some but no loss of accuracy (which still needs ton of help). Point is I knew something wasn't right but no experiance to put a finger on it. Working on IR but I am not sure about the accuracy. She pitched 2 innings tonight in allstars pitch count way to high but did have 4ks 5walks 0hits 0runs. Point is thanks for explaining IR and this site. I am trying to find coach in area that also unterstands it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28