I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2012
I fixed the video. While watching the video, you may want to turn the volume down as there is a car horn going off every couple of seconds.

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Does that answer your question?

Yes! and thankz again!!! Your answer had kinda slipped by my attention... have been waiting to hear it. I asked it a while back, maybe didn't just get it clear in my mind. I wasn't aware you have already stated your answer before. Sorry for redundancies.

Anyways I went ahead and started having her do it. ( the Palm to 3rd) It seems to have worked pretty good. I will work on the way also that you just explained as we aren't perfect... yet. I will video our attempts, and let you see if I'm embedding it correctly. I do appreciate your time taken in this matter. Will keep watching the other questions, as they could answer mine... Just glad it wasn't T-Totally wrong.

Sep 3, 2009
I am trying to teach my 13 year old daughter how to pitch using Internal Rotation. She has been pitching for 3 years using the elbow up follow through. But, during this past season, I noticed some girls seemed to pitch using a different technique, which lead me on a mission to find the right technique. Internal rotation seems like the answer as almost every college pitcher seems to pitch using that technique. But, trying to teach my daughter has not been easy, especially with the release. She has only perfected her fastball (palm up) and her change up (back flip), so teaching her this technique has been difficult as she can't understand how to release the ball.

Over the weekend, we took some videos (full motion, 12 oclock, old delivery, etc.

Here is a video of her release just doing the 12 oclock motion. Would love to hear what everyone thinks.

12oclock IR - YouTube

Even though this isn't the proper thread, I would also like to know the proper way to download a video on a thread.

Thanks.

John

She looks good to me John!

Just another bucket dad.

CoachI

College Coach
Apr 19, 2012
Virginia Beach
BM, I just wanted to express my thanks for such a great post w/video support. I have been teaching IR for awhile and this site (your post and others) have definitely reinforced what I believe to be “natural”, as-well-as, provide detailed assistance (knowledge) in area’s I can improve on. I am going on my 5th season coaching (pitching/hitting) college and have had great success in the circle. An All-American (first in school’s history), NFCA player of the week (another first) and three pitchers of the year in conference…not to mention several records, simply put, IR works and works well! Thank you very much for such a great post!

Thanks again,
Coach I
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2011
BoardMember,

Do you have any suggestions for a student who uses IR very well in partial circle drills, but not in full motion? The desire to incorporate IR in full motion is there, but the habit from old training persists once pitching starts.

Jun 26, 2010
Thank you for this thread Boardmember. My DD who is 11 has been doing the drills. Tonight she was doing something she's never been able to do before, relaxed long toss from 43' and with pop. I kept backing her up to see what would happen. She has renewed enthusiasm and confidence for pitching. Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2008
upperarm during IR - is there IR in the glove arm?

This is for BoardMember.

I have several clips of male pitchers in their prime.
For example: Moore and Meredith
Their upper arm movement during release and follow thru are good examples of the IR.

Does the opposite arm(glove arm) perform a little of its own IR as well and does the glove arm IR help in the deceleration of the upper throwing arm during its IR?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
This is for BoardMember.

I have several clips of male pitchers in their prime.
For example: Moore and Meredith
Their upper arm movement during release and follow thru are good examples of the IR.

Does the opposite arm(glove arm) perform a little of the IR as well and does the opposite arm IR help in the deceleration of the upper throwing arm?

Green......It varies among deliveries and is not an "absolute".

For example, when pitchers reach with the glove hand during the upswing, some reach with the glove thumb facing down, and draw that thumb down position straight down toward the front side. Others reach with the glove fingers down and draw that position straight down.......Some actually rotate or "flip" the glove externally during the reach and pull down phase.

Notice Halls glove "flip over" from thumb down internally rotated to thumb up externally rotated during her delivery:

PageHallGloveFlip.gif

I've seen Cat do the same thing sometimes, as well as stay internally rotated other times........

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802