I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Most people on DFP appreciate everything Boardmember has done for pitching. (As an aside Boardmember never claimed he invented IR.)

Boardmember shared his considerable knowledge about pitching. He developed a framework for teaching IR pitching. He has provided a roadmap for teaching pitching. The "IR in the Classroom" thread is a tremendous source of information.

This thread is not the correct place for a debate about who throws IR or not. It is kind of pointless. I could post a 100 videos of top flight pitchers using IR, including the best female pitcher in the world (Yukiko Ueno) and the best male pitcher in the world (Adam Folkard). If someone doesn't want to throw like the best pitchers in the world, God Bless and good luck.

If people want to continue this debate, go to the Nunthia v. Boardmember Smackdown Thread. We're selling popcorn and beer in the lobby.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020
New to these parts, but have an issue that needs some solving:

My 14 year old daughter has been pitching since early 10U days. For the first 4 years, she was being taught H/E from 3 different pitching coaches (all played college softball - small school up to Division I). As a first time softball dad, I didn't realize there were different methods of pitching, but sat and learned and researched over that span.

Fast forward to today, She is now learning I/R from a current Division I pitcher for the past year. It hasn't been too rough of a transition for the most part except for one thing: When she pitches full and going full speed, she has a habit of flipping the ball down around 9:00 and going back to H/E. I've tried multiple techniques to help her fix the issue, but she keeps reverting back to old mechanics. Any suggestions? Keep in mind, my daughter is very mechanical - asking her to change one simple thing can be a process!

Aug 20, 2017
New to these parts, but have an issue that needs some solving:

My 14 year old daughter has been pitching since early 10U days. For the first 4 years, she was being taught H/E from 3 different pitching coaches (all played college softball - small school up to Division I). As a first time softball dad, I didn't realize there were different methods of pitching, but sat and learned and researched over that span.

Fast forward to today, She is now learning I/R from a current Division I pitcher for the past year. It hasn't been too rough of a transition for the most part except for one thing: When she pitches full and going full speed, she has a habit of flipping the ball down around 9:00 and going back to H/E. I've tried multiple techniques to help her fix the issue, but she keeps reverting back to old mechanics. Any suggestions? Keep in mind, my daughter is very mechanical - asking her to change one simple thing can be a process!

Have you got some good video that could show her release? Never seen ball down at 9:00 and still use IR but have seen some with ball to 3B at 9:00 and last second go back to palm up prior to IR.
If it’s ball down at 9:00 you are probably gonna need to go back to basic IR drills: 9:00, 12:00, light long toss. This drill video came across my YouTube feed and I liked it. Have no clue who it is.

Jan 17, 2020
DD is in 13U and in the same boat as your DD. Started the change in Jan of 2019 and still pronate too early. She is still hitting the lock it in and 9 o'clock drills and much as she can. Concentrating on elbow down to lock it in and then leading with pinky back to starting position. She doesn't do show it much considering she hasn't got liberty down. Slow process but that is what she is focused on. Good Luck!

Mar 23, 2020

Have you got some good video that could show her release? Never seen ball down at 9:00 and still use IR but have seen some with ball to 3B at 9:00 and last second go back to palm up prior to IR.
If it’s ball down at 9:00 you are probably gonna need to go back to basic IR drills: 9:00, 12:00, light long toss. This drill video came across my YouTube feed and I liked it. Have no clue who it is.

I'll try to get some. Her coach teaches palm up after snap essentially - basically continuing her whip through the ball. I'm not a big stickler on this as long as she gets good snap instead of stiff wrist.

Mar 23, 2020
DD is in 13U and in the same boat as your DD. Started the change in Jan of 2019 and still pronate too early. She is still hitting the lock it in and 9 o'clock drills and much as she can. Concentrating on elbow down to lock it in and then leading with pinky back to starting position. She doesn't do show it much considering she hasn't got liberty down. Slow process but that is what she is focused on. Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply (and the above one also! Forgot to say that!). We don't go full often - mainly drills trying to enforce the new technique. When going slow, she performs it well with decent velocity. It's when going full things start to fall apart. Ah, the process...

Jan 17, 2020
I think it's waldrop from FSU. DD has been looking at some of her video to improve her arm circle (her backswing was going behind her back which was causing her arm circle to go outward - also an IR killer). She is now keeping the ball in her glove up to 3 and working on getting her shoulders square like she states in the video above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28