I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I took the liberty of putting the IR In the Classroom thread into a Google Doc. Anyone with the link below should be able to access and download the doc file either to your own Google Drive or as an HTML. With HTML you will have a web page doc (can be opened with your browser) and a reference folder with all of the embedded images. If you save as any other type of document you will lose animation on the GIF's. Many thanks to BM for providing this material to all of us.
IR In the Classroom

I've also saved a JavaSource Drive Mechanics document. Same sentiments to JS, this is all terrific stuff.
Drive Mechanics

edit - Just noticed KenB posted a Drive Mechanics document a few weeks ago...not sure how I missed that. I also included some of Java's bonus material like Performance Training, Overlap, The Hips and The Lean into mine.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2014
Quick question: I like to do everything before I show my daughter and I tried this or yesterday and kind of liked it but today my forearm is really "tired." Is this normal when first doing this IR.

Jul 14, 2008
Quick question: I like to do everything before I show my daughter and I tried this or yesterday and kind of liked it but today my forearm is really "tired." Is this normal when first doing this IR.

You tried "this" yesterday? What "this" did you try? If you say "I tried I/R" then I'd be concerned. If you're new to the concept and pick up a ball and start "twisting" your forearm to propel the ball then yes, you might develop some soreness. But understand that "forced motion" isn't what I/R is about. You can't learn the pitching motion that includes I/R by cramming the training into one practice session.

If that's what you did, then yes, you could be sore.

It's about learning the proper load/unloading that happens during a proper underhand throwing motion.

It's hard for me to believe that you simply did a few easy drills designed to teach you to feel the proper motion and now your arm is sore.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Would you be willing to film yourself doing exactly what you did when you tried it?

Feb 20, 2012
It appears that you are flipping out your hand on finish and rolling it over. As for myself I would avoid rolling over the hand as that makes it difficult to stay behind the ball and instead go around. I'm 77 years having pitched over a half-century and when I used coaches eye to video my snap I use my hip drive to get more whip and avoid over rotating my arm. I try to stay in the hello elbow zone through the middle of my body when finishing my follow through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802