I/R Coaching Instructions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2019
If you give pitching lessons(that preferably line up with I/R), what are the main lines that you find yourself saying to a kid? From start to finish of pitch, and can even be what you find your self saying on common drills. Try to be specific at which point the kid is in pitch. And Yes,I do understand that every kid might be different and this might be hard to do. But here are Examples. I feel when I give hitting lessons, I find myself saying, “widen your stance, keep weight loaded on back foot.”-at stance. Or. “Don’t straighten your arms out, keep them inside,”- before point of contact and at contact.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Use the glove to help with the drive. Bring it down to the thigh with the backswing then drive up together.

Kinda nitpicky, but I think I see the heel hit the ground during the drive. She pulls out of it nicely and ends up with very good posture and resistance at release. You might try the cues of the knee "seeing" the target the entire pitch, or dragging the toenails.

Also nitpicky, but don't start 9 o'clocks from a static position. Roll up and then pull down together in one fluid motion. Honestly, her whip is so good that I don't even see her needing to do these unless she likes them. Some folks insist they have to warm up with them. I leave it up to the kiddo.

Really solid overall. I'd focus on spots and spins.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
It's a fallacy you can talk your way into a pitching coach. For example, pick a phrase such as "stand tall, don't bend" or "finish strong" and yell it all day long. Without correcting the underlying mechanics, you would be better off yelling "throw strikes" or "strike her out", as it will be just as effective.

Jun 19, 2019
AWESOME JOB, JUDE!!!
She's made tremendous progress
Thank you. We have worked on getting her glove come down to help with drive as Ken B has mentioned. Just finished up today and will continue to work on what you have taught us. I got to get her legs a little stronger. She seems to be having trouble with keeping her balance throughout the pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee