I love coaching, but my daughter hates me.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I mean deep down I am sure she loves me, but she is a teenager now and is 100% right about everything while I am 100% wrong about everything... 100%of the time; there is no flexibility. It makes me hurt so much before every practice, every lesson, and every game at this point.

I feel like I have to quit being her coach, right?

But coaching just makes me feel so happy. I mean, it gives me such an all around good feeling to be able to help a group of girls get better at something they love (and have fun doing while doing it). My goal is to always make it fun, and always make it about them.... and I feel so good about it when I do.

But my daughter though... man I can do no right in her eyes, and I am more often than not her enemy when it comes to softball anymore. I want more than anything for her to be happy.

Me being her coach does not make her happy.

So...

I have to quit being her coach, right? It's not about be and how I feel... I want it to be for her.

Been there got the Hat, T-Shirt, and shoestrings lol....two daughters and a son....over 20 years in multiple sports now bringing the last two up.

for my daughters it made me a better coach. I stopped coaching them individually. I realized there were other people that were better at skills than me. I was better at game strategy.

In track I sent them to the "mean coach" and I became that dad that would just hug the girls and say....well you know if you don't perform coach X is not going to be happy. When we got to track meets-- if they didn't prepare properly no big deal their hands on coach would talk with them.

For basketball and softball. I put them in the hands of the assistant coaches and all I had to do is call plays and manage the rosters. I became a better coach when I didn't worry about skills.....just focused on game details and sending out recruiting material to colleges for the athletes....... If they didn't perform or got moody the assistant coach would tell me to pull them. They would look at my daughters and say...."come sit with me".

Especially with girls they have a time in their lives where daddy and mommy have to step away...but you don't have to quit coaching.....just modify who handles them. No one has a better interest in your child than you....but at some point you can't hands on train them, but you can remain the head coach.....that is my experience

My oldest daughter full ride track scholarship.....My second daughter 50% softball scholarship...and the boy a football scholarship and I coached them all though their senior years on travel teams........track, softball, basketball, and 7 on 7 football.....

that is just my experience......you are not the 1st or last to have this issue....

Aug 3, 2014
Royersford, PA
I have coached my DD from T thru 18U Gold and she continued to ask for help during her four years of college. Now she is beside me giving back coaching 14U. You are in a tough spot but, if you enjoy coaching and have a lot to contribute to the game don't quit. Coach down go back to your roots. Watch your DD from the sidelines. I guarantee she will look to you for approval or reaction during her game. The things that drives other coaches crazy. Don't quit.... there are not enough quality volunteers doing good work with our young athletes.
(a bad of softball is better than any good day at work).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802