I had to be stern with her, now I feel like crap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
What you told her and the mother was, "I am powerless to control your DD." That is not a real good message to send to the team.

The only tool a coach has to discipline kids is the bench. If you don't use it, the kids and parents will end up running the team.

As far as "loving" the kids...your job is to coach. The parents and grandparents are there to love the kids.

I'm sorry, Sluggers, but I disagree with you on every point. In fact, I will agree to disagree with you because this isn't going anywhere. Thanks, though, for your input.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
And that is your problem. You are more concerned about winning games than managing a team. You like her and she knows it. She is playing you like a violin. Take a step back...your focus is not on the *team* it is on this one player.

No player is indispensable (one of my favorite sayings: The graveyard is full of indispensable people.), and the sooner you communicate that to her the better you and her will be.

The only thing you have to correct her behavior is sitting her little rear end on the bench.

So, I would have called the mother and told her that the child was being hurt too much at practice and that I can't play her in the next game. The mother and child will then say you are being unfair, and then you say, "OK. I'll let her play 50% of the game." And then do it.

Have her sit out a few inning and bat 9th. That usually cures a lot of injuries.

I can think of no better way of getting a good player out of softball faster. There MAY be a time for this attitude down the line, but for the first 'reprimand'? Get real.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I can think of no better way of getting a good player out of softball faster. There MAY be a time for this attitude down the line, but for the first 'reprimand'? Get real.

If you don't firmly address an attitude at 12 or 13, I can think of no better way to produce good softball players who act like prima donnas. And after re-reading the initial post, complaining about injuries "all the time" doesn't equate to a one-time incident IMO.

Thing1Thing2

Softball
Jan 25, 2013
Georgia
I manage 11/12 major girls softball. So at practice today one of my girls is complaining. She needs a tissue. Then her nose is bleeding, maybe. Then the ball hit her wrist and it really hurts. Then I turn around and she's laying on the ground like she's just taking a break. "Get up," I says. "I can't! I can't feel my knee!" So I run over there and ask her to roll up the pants leg. A little red. She was sliding wrong and probably banged up the knee a bit. "It hurts!" "I thought you said you can't feel your knee? You gonna be okay?" "I guess."

I thought you were describing my daughter. I have twins & still married to there dad, but this sounds like one of my DD. I'm not sure if she's just accident prone or what... But it really seems the "accidents" happen to her much more than the other one & she's more of a drama queen about them :)

My girls are 10 and I did have that talk with her (she's the catcher) that said I need to know if your "hurt" or if your "injured" and then the level of pain. BC I am assuming a catcher is gonna stay banged up and some of your hurts just come along with the territory of playing ball.

I think you handled it well... I would have been fine if a coach had said that to me or my daughter.

Aug 2, 2008
I agree with sluggers. I dont yell at kids when I am angry, but I dont reward them when they dont deserve it. You have a problem with that kid, her rocket arm isnt worth it. IMO if you really want to help her then dissapoint her with plenty of bench time, she and her mom and dad will not like you but it will make her a better teammate on somebody elses team next year. (or she will just quit). I put up with lots of stuff but never bad attitudes and criers, I cut the criers. Of course I am about 7 years removed from rec ball.

Jul 1, 2010
I agree with Sluggers. I realize this is rec, but a firm, consistent policy based on effort regardless of talent will serve players better in the long run in or outside of softball/sports.

Criers, bad attitudes and whining should be dealt with early on. JMHO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812