I guess it is my turn, my DD. Have at it so we can improve. 12 YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks Bobby. But those hips are not out front. They are directly below the head. And that’s well into launch. We were speaking of the forward move.
"We" weren't speaking at all. But just to make the point here's a pretty good pro well before "launch." The head is back behind the center if gravity. Then there's the rearward tilt. How are you going to tilt rearward with your head directly over your hips?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-03-08-32-08.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-03-08-32-08.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 8
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's a decent pro....

I like that view. Head is directly over the belt buckle. Which directly between the feet. Centered at foot down. What you’re looking for is a reach without the COM advancing.

You will only find that minimally in players like Soto who load more vertically. But not really.

Here’s your back foot eversion also.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"We" weren't speaking at all. But just to make the point here's a pretty good pro well before "launch." The head is back behind the center if gravity. Then there's the rearward tilt. How are you going to tilt rearward with your head directly over your hips?

Yeah. I know. We weren’t speaking.

Just where is the COG in that Ruth still?

That’s a good question. Tilt is found with spacing, sequencing, balance and posture. It’s purely organic. Not manufactured. It’s a no teach.

Jul 29, 2013
I like that view. Head is directly over the belt buckle. Which directly between the feet. Centered at foot down. What you’re looking for is a reach without the COM advancing.

You will only find that minimally in players like Soto who load more vertically. But not really.

Here’s your back foot eversion also.

Draw a vertical line and the head is behind the belt buckle, not between the feet, over the rear thigh.
Yeah. I know. We weren’t speaking.

Just where is the COG in that Ruth still?

That’s a good question. Tilt is found with spacing, sequencing, balance and posture. It’s purely organic. Not manufactured. It’s a no teach.

In the Ruth still, he had just pushed his hips forward to get COG in front of his feet and off balance to create his big forward move. Then he reaches his front leg forward to push against and transfer his forward momentum into angular momentum.
Tilt can be taught by keeping the head over the rear thigh. Not all that other that organic unmanufactured and unteachable crapola that makes it so complicated.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Draw a vertical line and the head is behind the belt buckle, not between the feet, over the rear thigh.

In the Ruth still, he had just pushed his hips forward to get COG in front of his feet and off balance to create his big forward move. Then he reaches his front leg forward to push against and transfer his forward momentum into angular momentum.
Tilt can be taught by keeping the head over the rear thigh. Not all that other that organic unmanufactured and unteachable crapola that makes it so complicated.

Griffey’s Head is in the middle at toe touch and during his forward move. Much like Ruth.There is no tilt until launch.

It seems Ruth’s upper body is leading in space during his forward move. So his COG is not back. It’s in the middle.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
As far as the back hip stopping or not rotating all the way. That is crucial. Without it, there is nothing to transfer energy to the next link in the chain to speed up rotation or ‘catapult the bat forward into the ball. That’s where the eversion of the back foot is happening.

Craig Wallenbrock teaches a dead back leg for this. Tim Hyers teaches a closed front hip. Others will teach a scissor or kickback. It is a very much needed mechanic during rotational athletic movements like golf or baseball or softball.

Just picture a catapult with nothing to leverage against.

Notice how Wile loses his direction?

Jose does not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2