I got some news today that really bothered me about a girl leaving sports completely

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
I heard today about a girl that had played with my daughter and why she is not playing this season and it bothers me a bit to hear it. The girl is a late birthday 7 th grader that would be eligible to play 12u one more season if she wanted but she has quit volleyball and softball over how the girls in her school have been treating her. She is a good kid, a little introverted and quiet so maybe that made her a bit of a target to get picked on, not sure. She had tried pitching a few times with minimal quality instruction and was learning after we went as a group to a coach that was working with my younger daughter amd i think she could have mabye done well pitching and hit for some power as well. A different team really isnt a logistical option for her and her mom.
Not sure what to do with or about this but just wanted to vent my frustration.

Jun 26, 2019
how does your Dd get along with her? maybe an entreaty from another girl, along with assurance that she is welcome, and a friend on the team, might be all she needs.
My dd gets along with her fine but is not close freinds with her(she caught my dd when she tried pitching when we scrimmaged another team adm she did an awesome job keeping my newbie pitcher in a good place mentally) , that was mentioned, but no go.

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
I heard today about a girl that had played with my daughter and why she is not playing this season and it bothers me a bit to hear it. The girl is a late birthday 7 th grader that would be eligible to play 12u one more season if she wanted but she has quit volleyball and softball over how the girls in her school have been treating her. She is a good kid, a little introverted and quiet so maybe that made her a bit of a target to get picked on, not sure. She had tried pitching a few times with minimal quality instruction and was learning after we went as a group to a coach that was working with my younger daughter amd i think she could have mabye done well pitching and hit for some power as well. A different team really isnt a logistical option for her and her mom.
Not sure what to do with or about this but just wanted to vent my frustration.
When you say "girls in her school" do you mean girls on the softball team, or just girls in class in general?

Jun 26, 2019
When you say "girls in her school" do you mean girls on the softball team, or just girls in class in general?
The group of girls at her school that are into sports, its a small school around 60 kids per grade with roughly the same kids on the softball team and volleyball team. My daughter has played some with the group of girls in question and had a pretty similar very negative experience, which makes me nervous how things will go when they are on varsity or jv together

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
The group of girls at her school that are into sports, its a small school around 60 kids per grade with roughly the same kids on the softball team and volleyball team. My daughter has played some with the group of girls in question and had a pretty similar very negative experience, which makes me nervous how things will go when they are on varsity or jv together
[/QUO
60 Kids per grade? Yea getting picked on at a small school must be tough, any idea if any of the coaches of the teams have a clue about the girl getting picked on?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm :unsure:, perhaps let her know she is not the only person that goes through tough things.
Life is learning and growing.
Be a friend.
And watch an inspirational movie! ;)

Screenshot_2021-04-23-07-30-24-1.png

Feb 20, 2020
Funny that the softball and volleyball girls are the same group at your school. At ours it's practically a shooting war.

Pre and early teen girls are rough, sports or not. I always hoped that my DD would get some self-affirmation and appreciation for her sports journey, but lots of times it was just another way for tribes to form.

Now, just wait until they get older and you start having romances in the locker room and girls sleeping with each other, and that drama that follows any teenage romance. Then it gets REALLY fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28