I freaking hate pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Just think about the bond you are forming with your daughter. For me, that is the most priceless thing we’ve gained from DD’s years of pitching. Yeah there’s been tears, frustration, pain (mostly to me as the catcher), times when it seemed like the progression went backwards, but it’s all been worth it. I am thankful for every day that I get to and got to spend with her on her pitching journey. The rides to and from her lessons, practices, tourneys, camps, etc. have given me the opportunities to just talk to her about anything and everything. These times are quickly coming to an end for us as she is a junior in high school. I think about this exact day in two years and realize that I won’t have to be up now getting ready to catch her at her lesson. While the thought of being able to sleep in seems soooo nice, I know I will be missing it and her big time. I honestly don’t know if we’d be this close if she didn’t choose pitching.

As difficult as it seems now, I promise you she will keep developing and one day you will be able to look back and will be amazed as to how far she’s come. You will cherish the bond that you both formed along the way.

Oct 4, 2018
A lot of money, a lot of miles. Driving to fields and lessons and practices.

But yeah, the bond created and the lessons learned. Priceless.

Jul 14, 2018
This is a good thread with lots of great advice, thanks Reaperjet for resurrecting it and for sharing your experience.

When I made my first posts on this thread back in the fall of 2018, DD was just starting on a new team and was deep in the back of the pitching rotation. Two years later, the other girls who were in front of her (2nd year 12's) are no longer pitching, and she's the team's #1. She's still one of the smallest kids on the team, and rarely breaks 50 mph. But spin and control go a long way!

Apr 20, 2017
It’s really something to read through a post like this and see others that have gone through the same struggles. My DD was always a big uncoordinated kid that coaches always would pass on. She decided she wanted to pitch and I remembered me as a kid wanting to pitch and never getting the chance. So I wanted her to get the opportunity. I remember 6 months in the ball still flying over the back stop and wondering why in the world do we spend so much money and time on lessons. Slowly but surely she started getting a little better. At 9 she started throwing a bunch of strikes in rec. she had nothing around her to help defensively. I remember one game she had 18k’s and we lost due to d3k. And if the ball got hit it was a home run even if it was a bunt. Instead of getting down it drove her to get even better. Her first travel team was a startup team that I think won 2 games all season. But she kept fighting and working. This year she is just 2nd year 12u but her career has definitely turned around. From coaches not wanting her to being highly sought after. She is on one of the top teams in the country and preparing for PGF nationals this summer. She started her first middle school games at her new school this week and has a 2-0 record with a 0.0 era. Others have clocked her cruising at 60 with good movement in games this week. I often think back to all those times I secretly wanted her to give it up and now I realize she was stronger and more determined that I was or I could have ever been at her age. It makes me very proud to see all the losses and failures in her career and to let that drive her to get better. Even now if a team beats her then she works twice as hard and wants to face that team again. I always tell people she hates to lose more then she enjoys winning. This has been and will always be her journey and as her dad I will always do anything to help her on her path. I know she is still young and there are many more ups and downs to go. If a dad or mom reads this that is sitting there wondering if they should just give up the best thing I could tell you is never give up on them until they give up. They may surprise you and you might miss out on one heck of a ride. And enjoy the time at the younger years. One day catching them will not be fun anymore and you will wish you could go back and have some of that time again.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
I had to start catching DD2 at lessons again after almost 2 years of having a teammate catch her. One week I contacted 8 catchers and nobody was "available". The 1st 2 lessons I caught her I took a few hits to the body and feet. The last couple I actually did well and caught just about every pitch. I guess I'm getting better at it.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I had to start catching DD2 at lessons again after almost 2 years of having a teammate catch her. One week I contacted 8 catchers and nobody was "available". The 1st 2 lessons I caught her I took a few hits to the body and feet. The last couple I actually did well and caught just about every pitch. I guess I'm getting better at it.

A bucket of good pitching balls and a bownet is a great investment. And a beverage since you're now off to the side watching and feeling safe.

Nov 18, 2013
12U is insane for the range of body sizes. I recall my DD playing against a girl that was at least 6'-2".

Good luck with the pitching thing. I hope your DD hits a growth spurt soon. She's about the age where girls start to sprout. One of my DD's 10U-12U teammates was always one of the smaller players on the team. She's now 14, and 5'-7". Be aware that a big growth spurt can sometimes wreck a pitcher's control as their body adapts to it new dimensions.

This was definitely true with my DD. She was 6’1” as a freshman and it looked like the sky was the limit. Right up until she hit another growth spurt and the wheels came off. While I was going out of my mind, she just kept plugging away and eventually she was back on track.

Aug 2, 2019
This was definitely true with my DD. She was 6’1” as a freshman and it looked like the sky was the limit. Right up until she hit another growth spurt and the wheels came off. While I was going out of my mind, she just kept plugging away and eventually she was back on track.
She hit a growth spurt at 6'1"?

How friggin tall is she now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802