I freaking hate pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
If she is having fun and loves it..... then nothing else matters. If she isn't have her moved.

Jun 7, 2016
OP,
Nearly everyone of us on the board has had the same journey. Go to Tincher pitching and read about a legendary athlete and her fathers jpurney. He had all the same feeling as you. My DD came to this late on the cusp of 13 and I always felt she was going to be behind the curve. But she has battled to learn, battled expectations and injuries. I still feel that college ball is outside her grasp (but who knows), but for me the lessons of those battles are incaculable going forward in life. So Bucket On!
BTW, if you stick around here, you get to watch others' journeys as well. And while they are not yours, who cant be happy for stories like BT3100. It is why we are a nation of sports addicts!

Jul 14, 2018
You can't worry about what others think - the true friends and family will support your kid no matter if she gives up no runs or ten.

This is actually one of the toughest things about being the pitcher's parent. When there's eight other girls out there, and they've all worked really hard and they all want to win, and your daughter goes out and walks in three runs to start the game, the silence of the other parents can be deafening. But there's really nothing to say, except to cheer when someone makes a play, and encourage the girls to get those runs back when they get up at bat. And remember, every player's parent has seen their daughter muff a catch, botch a throw, and strike out in a key situation. It's part of the game.

Nov 17, 2017
Thanks - We go to a Tincher Coach...... And that's the other thing..... for a 9/10 year old to learn that Rotation throw.... Jesus!!!!! So many things to go wrong.

I almost also regret starting her with Tincher - But, again, we'll see. I think Denny is coming to our town in a few months so, we'll see him... And I read his blog.

What also sucks about youth Sports and Pitching is that in the Rec leagues I see... the team that celebrates, Carries the trophy off the field and gets all the glory on Facebook is the same team coaches that cried all year about having no pitching and it not being fair..... So instead of Growing pains of working thru 2-3 girls learn a windmill, they trot out Girls just lobbing the ball and Win it all.....

So, the girls that Work at it 100x more get Zero Reward.....

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks - We go to a Tincher Coach...... And that's the other thing..... for a 9/10 year old to learn that Rotation throw.... Jesus!!!!! So many things to go wrong.

I almost also regret starting her with Tincher - But, again, we'll see. I think Denny is coming to our town in a few months so, we'll see him... And I read his blog.

What also sucks about youth Sports and Pitching is that in the Rec leagues I see... the team that celebrates, Carries the trophy off the field and gets all the glory on Facebook is the same team coaches that cried all year about having no pitching and it not being fair..... So instead of Growing pains of working thru 2-3 girls learn a windmill, they trot out Girls just lobbing the ball and Win it all.....

My kid was a Tincher for 3 years.. Worked with Denny 4-5 times. You're in a good place.

Nov 17, 2017
This is actually one of the toughest things about being the pitcher's parent. When there's eight other girls out there, and they've all worked really hard and they all want to win, and your daughter goes out and walks in three runs to start the game, the silence of the other parents can be deafening. But there's really nothing to say, except to cheer when someone makes a play, and encourage the girls to get those runs back when they get up at bat. And remember, every player's parent has seen their daughter muff a catch, botch a throw, and strike out in a key situation. It's part of the game.

I hope they know....... We didn't sign up for this Travel team to be some dominant Ace of the Staff.... We just wanna try Travel Ball. We didn't know they have just 1 other pitcher, even younger and just starting out. Yeah, gonna feel it....

The other issue I have to overcome it.... I'm the Rec coach and have been asst..... I could always go out there and lighten things up.... Now I signed some from that says I can't even yell stuff....lol

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

Tincher is a good way to go. At least your with a certified PC. Geting started on the right track is huge. You could be with some HE coach, only to find out that you need to go back and relearn everything.
If she is enjoying it, learning, growing, she'll do nothing but get better. Have her back, keep everything positive, even when she has a tough outing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The best advice I ever got from a Wise Old Coach: "Spend more time doing what she wants to do and less time making her do what your want to do."

Some kids like to fish. Some kids like to ski. Some kids likes to pitch.

You've spent most of your life doing what you want to do. Spend some time doing what she wants to do. It is a fantastic experience if you open yourself up to it.

I wish we never started pitching - seemed like fun.. "Daddy I want to pitch"... Oh Sureeeeeee.. Good Times...

"We" never started pitching? Uh...how many pitches have you thrown during a game? Your DD is pitching. You are helping her.

I don't let her know my feelings but, It's not enjoyable at all....

You know, my kids were in the band. I can't count how many sucky concerts I went to. It took years before they could play a song that was close to right...but, I went anyway.

I really don't know why anyone pitches other than some sick Mega Athlete...

News flash: People enjoy different things.

A lot of great athletes don't like to pitch...my DD#3, e.g. Loved softball, hated pitching...although she had the natural ability for pitching that most people only dream about.

DD#1 is a different story. She had little interest in playing 1B...hitting was OK. But, she *loved* to pitch.

And I know kids experience "Failure" at other sports but, do you need to be THE ONE out there all alone with the entire Game / Season / Team on your back????

Pitchers unfairly get blamed for losses and unfairly get credit for wins.

If that is what she wants, great. It is up to your DD, not you. She is taking on the responsibility, not you.

So, we're spending every other day of a kids life throwing a ball just to be the freaking Pinata????

You have a bad case of not being able to separate yourself from her.

You aren't going to be the pinata....she is. It is her problem, not yours.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just think the OP will be a pitcher princess dad in a few years. Coaches from all over the land will be bugging him to bring his DD to their team.

No need to buy a chair for the games since you will be pacing up down the base lines during her games!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802