I freaking hate pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Video recording lessons or backyard sessions as much as possible. You will see the tremendous growth from year to year eventhough it may seem stagnant. People overestimate what can be done in a year! However, every one underestimates what can be done in a decade. If you understand it takes a decade to build a pitcher then you will relax and not take things so seriously

This is really great advice. We're always so busy chasing the next improvement we sometimes forget to stop and look at how far we've come.

I have a girl who came to me in the fall after being with another PC for a few years. One of her teammates has been my student for the same period and the difference is obvious, so when the new girl's PC stopped giving lessons they came to me.

Well, this girl's mechanics were a mess. She's a big kid but she didn't throw very hard - mostly because she had arms and legs going everywhere. We've been working on getting her to look less like an unmade bed.

Last week I used Coach's Eye to do a comparison analysis video of her first lesson with me, where I just recorded her doing what she did, to now. While her speed hasn't increased as much as I would like it to (yet), seeing the side-by-side was telling. She looks far more organized, and like a pitcher instead of some kid who was stuck in the game to pitch. I think that helped her feel better about where she is.

Does she have a ways to go? Absolutely. But if you picture the journey as a road map, while she isn't near the destination yet she's also no longer back at start. I think that will help keep her going until we can really internalize the changes and she can start throwing all-out.

Feb 25, 2020
We are not very far in, but video is one of the best things.

I wish I would have been videoing a few throws/pitches everyday since she started.

Used to just be for me after the kids went to bed. After a while, I would show her herself right after a session in the backyard. Now, sometimes, we are standing halfway between home plate and the rubber watching the pitch she just threw.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We are not very far in, but video is one of the best things.

I wish I would have been videoing a few throws/pitches everyday since she started.

Used to just be for me after the kids went to bed. After a while, I would show her herself right after a session in the backyard. Now, sometimes, we are standing halfway between home plate and the rubber watching the pitch she just threw.

I regret not taking more video last year to have a better video timeline of DD’s pitching journey. As Dad and AC I was so hyper focused on coaching. I usually catch for her at home and we used video more in the back half of the year.

This year I’ve already got a plan and setup to make sure we get way more video.

My DD does not like watching herself unless we are working on something. Other than that she doesn’t want anything to do with the video clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2017
Who had that Rollercoaster GIF....??? lol

I got home Friday excited, ready to go to Hitting and her hand was all swollen!!!!!

I'm sure I have the same feeling many here have of OMG we're missing practice....

We shut it down for the week at least - It's her non throwing hand and IMO she's been playing so much and these kids are throwing much harder now I think her Glove hand is just beat up....

Had it checked out and it's a Ligament Bruise/Strain....

Nov 17, 2017
My DD is sick today and can't go to practice. I asked my wife if I could just go and watch.

Her response: "No, you junkie"

Hope your DD heals up real quick.

YUP... Especially with COVID - Barely go out anywhere - Watching them practice and yap with parents is my major social activity lmao!!!

We went to pitching this week and just handed her balls to throw!!!!
Was actually good to slow down and look at foundations..

But, Damn, it still hurts her.

Now the other pitcher we have has major Brush interference bruises - I'm living in those threads now - Crazy I kinda wanted my kid to Brush interfere more and I thought this other kid was the Picture perfect model and now she can barely throw.

Apr 28, 2014
Now the other pitcher we have has major Brush interference bruises - I'm living in those threads now - Crazy I kinda wanted my kid to Brush interfere more and I thought this other kid was the Picture perfect model and now she can barely throw.

Usually due to pulling the core into the elbow. Conventional thinking would be the opposite, pulling arm into core.

Nov 8, 2018
YUP... Especially with COVID - Barely go out anywhere - Watching them practice and yap with parents is my major social activity lmao!!!

We went to pitching this week and just handed her balls to throw!!!!
Was actually good to slow down and look at foundations..

But, Damn, it still hurts her.

Have her make sure her hand and ball is facing 3rd right before contact. The elbow SHOULD NOT hit the hip.
If she is facing the ball to 3rd and still bruising than she is not rolling around the thigh and slamming into it. That’s a timing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk