HS "Rebuilding" Strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coaching HS is different than coaching TB. HS coaches have to play the hand they are dealt and cannot (legally) recruit players. Therefore, the coaches have to play more of a political game. I personally think that the best policy is to play the upperclassman unless the underclassman is "head and shoulders" better. Underclassman understand they need to wait their turn to start, while upperclassman may quit if their playing time diminishes. You see it in college all the time, an upperclassman transfers or quits if an underclassman takes their spot and there is no path to playing time barring injury.

Dec 11, 2010
Very true JAD.

And I think college coaches sometimes have a similar strategy.

I don’t think tb parents see that college softball has more in common with high school softball than it does with travel ball. Things like roster size, four year spread of ages, four year spread of strength, keeping players for the duration and minimizing turnover, playing time..... People say hs softball doesn’t matter to college coaches but gosh, sometimes there can be clues about how a player will deal with a similar environment. (Problem with that theory is so many hs kids DO start four years hs but I bet you can think of examples)

Nov 18, 2013
I didn't hear the words from his mouth.

You need to hear it directly to know the context. He may have just said something like “underclassman will play a greater a role next year”, or “it’ll be a rebuilding year” and a parent freaked out. Even if he did say it there’s still 7-8 months until the season starts. Lots can change in that time.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Very true JAD.

And I think college coaches sometimes have a similar strategy.

I don’t think tb parents see that college softball has more in common with high school softball than it does with travel ball. Things like roster size, four year spread of ages, four year spread of strength, keeping players for the duration and minimizing turnover, playing time..... People say hs softball doesn’t matter to college coaches but gosh, sometimes there can be clues about how a player will deal with a similar environment. (Problem with that theory is so many hs kids DO start four years hs but I bet you can think of examples)

This ^^^ I always tell the players TB will get you recruited, but in no way will really prepare you for College.

Nov 29, 2009
This ^^^ I always tell the players TB will get you recruited, but in no way will really prepare you for College.

It all depends on the program your DD played travel ball for. The program my DD played for had large rosters so the players had to learn how to fight for playing time. If a parent complained they were told they could take their DD and leave if they weren't happy. When they traveled the 14U and up teams had to stay in a room, 4 to a room with no parents. The room assignments were made by the coaches and they changed every time they traveled. The team ate as a group. It forced them to be self-sufficient. They were responsible for all communication with the coaches, not the parents. They carried all of their equipment and the team equipment. They were responsible for their equipment and uniforms. They put a lot of pressure on the kids so they got used to playing with it before they were in college. I know they sat 4 starters for 2 games of a tournament because they were late getting to the hotel lobby when the team was leaving for the fields. There were rules and there were consequences for breaking them. One of the rules was uniforms. If they had it on it had to be tucked in and worn properly. No open jerseys or looking sloppy.

I used to send my DD alone with the team all over the country from the time she was 14. What they did worked. When my DD hit college it was no big deal to her. She'd been there and done that before. The upperclassmen did not treat her as a freshman. Some of the other freshmen that came in. Well... It was interesting sometimes.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It all depends on the program your DD played travel ball for. The program my DD played for had large rosters so the players had to learn how to fight for playing time. If a parent complained they were told they could take their DD and leave if they weren't happy. When they traveled the 14U and up teams had to stay in a room, 4 to a room with no parents. The room assignments were made by the coaches and they changed every time they traveled. The team ate as a group. It forced them to be self-sufficient. They were responsible for all communication with the coaches, not the parents. They carried all of their equipment and the team equipment. They were responsible for their equipment and uniforms. They put a lot of pressure on the kids so they got used to playing with it before they were in college. I know they sat 4 starters for 2 games of a tournament because they were late getting to the hotel lobby when the team was leaving for the fields. There were rules and there were consequences for breaking them. One of the rules was uniforms. If they had it on it had to be tucked in and worn properly. No open jerseys or looking sloppy.

I used to send my DD alone with the team all over the country from the time she was 14. What they did worked. When my DD hit college it was no big deal to her. She'd been there and done that before. The upperclassmen did not treat her as a freshman. Some of the other freshmen that came in. Well... It was interesting sometimes.

I can see that aspect, I was talking more about TB practice 2-3 times a week for 2 hours, where in college its at least 5 days if not 6 with 3+ hours practice, gym/conditioning in the AM, then team meetings following practice, basically the time management aspect is an eye opener.

Nov 29, 2009
I can see that aspect, I was talking more about TB practice 2-3 times a week for 2 hours, where in college its at least 5 days if not 6 with 3+ hours practice, gym/conditioning in the AM, then team meetings following practice, basically the time management aspect is an eye opener.

The worst part is the travel. Unless they are playing for a top 10 program they do a LOT of bus travel. There would be days the DD traveled 12 hours on a bus after finishing games on Sunday. Missing classes. Learning which professors to avoid simply because she is an athlete. Trying to find time to study, do laundry, and GASP!!!! have a social life. The off the field time is the absolute hardest. There were 7 girls in my DD's freshman class. Only her and another girl were there at the end to graduate.

Jan 31, 2011
As a HS coach, I would never share that info with parents. It makes no sense. Watch the kids to support them and encourage them to keep working hard...The actual season is a long way from August... A million things can happen in that time period - I'd keep my mouth shut and evaluate the kids that show up when season starts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802