HS Career is over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So DD HS career is over and they had their awards banquet the other night. Warning: Venting will start now. They did not even give her one word of recognition at the Softball portion of the night. She was devastated and I am left heart broken for her. I have never seen her cry so hard. She feel into my arms when we got home. This kid got 2nd team All District her Freshman year, 1st Team-Soph, Jr, and Sr years. Academic All District all 4 years. This is recognition from the other district coaches. Career Stats .444 avg, 11 HR, 34 dbls, 80 Rbi's,. This year HBP 10 times! Highest OBP .583. Slug .792. No other player in the past 10 years had these numbers over 4 years.

The coach said that she let the girls vote. Popularity Contest. They gave the Most Improved Player and Defensive MVP to the same person. How is that even possible? She gave up on several balls that went under glove, she let balls fall in front of her, she didn't throw anyone out. She has been on varsity for two years. My catcher has bruises all over body for blocking all the errant pitches. She gunned out many runners this year. She called the games from behind the plate. I could go on. I really want to email the coach and ask her how can my DD who led this team for 4 years not have her name on one single plaque over her career. She rec'd a participation certificate. Wow. Really! Such a disservice and slap in the face. This is how she will remember her HS career. I told her to finish out her summer run and look forward to the memories she will make playing on a college Softball team.

Jul 14, 2018
That is an awful story, the only thing that I can think of is maybe the coach thought it more important to give out a memento to some of the girls for whom HS ball is the end of the line.

A fraction of your experience: DD pitched in the District finals two years ago. A Thunderstorm broke out in the third inning, so the game got postponed until the next day. She came back the next morning and finished the job -- pitched a no-hitter over two days to win the district championship. Coach gave the MVP award to the second baseman.

It's little consolation, but we often bust our butts in life to little or no recognition. One of the many life lessons to take away from the field. Doing your best is its own reward, and it sounds like your DD has a lot to be proud of.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow. That's a bummer, OS. I recommend writing that letter, if for not other reason than to maybe open his eyes so future players don't have the same crappy experience. IS wish your DD all the best in college ball.

As the only freshman on the varsity team this year, and a the leader in almost every offensive category, I hope my DD doesn't have the same BS happen to her.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
It sounds very unfair, and I'm sorry for your DD's experience.

It's probably no conciliation, but the least thing I remember about my High School sports days is the banquets. Most of my memories revolve around team mates and a few games and practices here and there.

Good luck to her in college, and I'll bet the foundation that she has built for herself is much stronger than this storm.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Did she get a letter? If so, did the coach say a few words about her when she did?
She's a four year letter winner. We have to order our District patches on our own. She called her name and gave her a participation certificate with not one word. She didn't say anything about any of the girls. Pretty pathetic.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It sounds very unfair, and I'm sorry for your DD's experience.

It's probably no conciliation, but the least thing I remember about my High School sports days is the banquets. Most of my memories revolve around team mates and a few games and practices here and there.

Good luck to her in college, and I'll bet the foundation that she has built for herself is much stronger than this storm.
Her Travel ball team is the Storm!! So perfect.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
She's a four year letter winner. We have to order our District patches on our own. She called her name and gave her a participation certificate with not one word. She didn't say anything about any of the girls. Pretty pathetic.
I agree. The problem is that your dd will never forget it. I lead my HS Team in hitting both my junior and senior years. My senior year the next closest hitter was 150 points below my BA. I led it rbis, doubles, steals, ... I love my HS coach but the MVP was given to a player who got hurt and missed the last 3rd of the season. I've never understood that. The reason I asked if anything was said is that there were two comments made about me. The first was that I signed out of the hospital to play which was true. The second was that I never had any athletic ability but I read books about how to play and so became better than others. Again, some hurts never go away. I say something about every player and it is positive. You should see some of the PowerPoints I made for my teams. They had hundreds of slides, music, comments, ... Every kid was the star of some slide.

OS, I feel so badly for your dd. The one thing I would say, and I know this won't matter to her now, is that she has learned a valuable lesson about people and life. How she responds to it will show that she has character!

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
OS- That sucks. Been down this road with our DS in baseball.

Not now but in the near future (next couple years), hopefully, you will be able to revisit this season of her life. If she takes from this situation how NOT to treat players on a team...and can be a better coach in life....then it's a victory...that hurts but she will be a better person and citizen.

Coaching and teammates are not limited in just sports. The work place has so many analogous situations. One of my staff members commented a couple years ago that supervising players was like coaching. EXACTLY!

And what we found out down the road was that everyone remembered our DS and his contributions regardless of a speech/plaque from a HS coach.

Playing the next level. Congratulations to her!!

I hope you'll keep us updated on her career. My DD heads to HS next year. It's so great to read others journey ahead of ours.

Mar 21, 2019
Wow that’s awful. Good luck to her in college! I’m sure it’ll be a great experience. College athletics are a blast! On to bigger and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802