Howard Kobota

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2008
My daughter and I were discussing her birthday present this year and she said she wanted the "little Asian man to yell at me".

I laughed my butt off because I knew exactly what she was talking about. She wants me to fly her to CA for lessons with Howard Kobata.

She went to a clinic here with him last month and loved his no frills, no sugar coating way of teaching.

LOL!!!

May 13, 2008
You too slow! ;)

I had the pleasure of filling in for a girl who didn't show up for the second day of training. Imagine an out-of-shape 40-something running around doing his drills. Quite hilarious. I learned a lot, though and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
cshilt: You are better man than I. I would have had a stroke! Just watching my dd go thru the drills and trying to take notes wore me out! He does have a sense of humor. He yelled and my dd and her freind in Russian. You too Slow.

Jul 29, 2008
cshilt- :D LOL!

He pulled mine out a couple of times as an example, so the class could watch her throw . She gets back in line, all proud of herself, and he says:
"You see how hard she throws? No good, no good. She's too slow. I could have half the arm and beat her any day because she's so slow."

You could see her deflate and I just chuckled. We get in the car and she asks to move to California. Uhhh, no.

May 5, 2008
Texas: that's so funny! How about moving to Hawaii? He'll be here in a few years instead of in CA. LOL - I know, farther and not a big softball state, but it's a great place to live!

cshilt: I've been tempted to jump into the drills too just to try them and see if I could do them so that I can demonstrate them to players. But I'm with SBFAMILY, I get tired just watching the clinic!

May 13, 2008
Stacie, I'd highly recommend it if you're willing and able. It gives you more of an appreciation for how talented these girls we coach really are. I know you used to play so you have more of an appreciation for it than the average coach, but a refresher couldn't hurt. Well, except for sore muscles. :D

May 5, 2008
Oh yeah, the sore muscles which would be a given if I did those drills. Another reason I want to jump in is because there are a few I'm certain I could do and some of the girls have a hard time. Just want them to see that if I can do it at may age after not training for competition for that long and having 5 kids, then they can do it too. :D

Oct 18, 2009
My daughter and I were discussing her birthday present this year and she said she wanted the "little Asian man to yell at me".

I laughed my butt off because I knew exactly what she was talking about. She wants me to fly her to CA for lessons with Howard Kobata.

She went to a clinic here with him last month and loved his no frills, no sugar coating way of teaching.

LOL!!!

I wish I had seen this old thread before booking Howard (at Hillhouse's suggestion) for a two day clinic with a group of 12-14 yr olds from our league. It took a few minutes for everyone to get over the initial shock and awe, at which point all parents and coaches became transfixed, and all the girls went very quiet. We are a "B" and "C" league. Our players and coaches have been conditioned to believe that sugar-coating and training are conjoint twins. What Howard did was something that none of us had expected or was prepared for.

When it was over, the weakest of the players looked worn out, but the stronger players were inspired, despite having been chewed out continuously for 5+ hours. One of them told her family that these were "the best lessons ever".

I think Howard can really make a huge difference for girls who have sufficient athletic ability and mental aptitude to train hard and improve. His clinics are not designed for pampered princesses and those who are not yet ready to be pushed hard, physically or mentally. However, even the weaker players will benefit greatly from understanding and absorbing his message.

If I were to do this over, I'd have ordered Howard's videos and have the girls and parents watch them at least a week or two beforehand, so that they'd know what Howard will be looking for on the field, and be mentally prepared for the brutally honest feedback once they are in his crosshair. The ones who are unwilling or unable to put up with sugar-free coaching should not sign up.

All in all, I think his live clinics are an absolute bargain for the attendees. The girls who "get" him are the ones who will have a chance to really explore their own potential. The videos are a must for those who don't have a photographic memory or can't take notes fast enough.

Meeting Howard and Hillhouse (who very patiently and diligently worked his magic with our pitchers) this weekend was an absolute pleasure. I'd have both of them back in a heart-beat, but I don't think I impressed them nearly as much with my driving...

Gene

May 5, 2008
Gene: you are exactly right. I recently got a message from a guy who saw Howard briefly on one of his visits home. He wanted to know how well I knew Howard because he really upset a parent. I basically told him that I'd never seen Howard be less than honest and I've also never seen him personally put down any girl who was putting forth her best. Definitely not for "pampered princess" type alright. How can you be upset with the ONLY guy in the world who cares enough about helping you get better that he'll tell you what no one else on the planet is telling you? It's not something to be offended about. Plus Howard always suggests how to get better. He doesn't just get on your case and tell you to get better or fix it without showing you how.

I would have loved to have him as an instructor :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478