How would you score this??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2015
First off, thank you all for all the great information, I really enjoy reading the various threads. Now on to my question: (by the way, I've searched and wasn't able to find this exact scenario)

Runners on first and third, one out

Batter lays down a bunt, pitcher picks it up, pitcher checks third base runner, checks batter/runner, then chases runner back to third and tags her out.

How's that scored?

*Sacrifice bunt?

*Fielders choice?

*Base hit?

Thanks for the opinions!

RD

Aug 3, 2019
Tough one.

I would say it’s a fielders choice—1 unassisted.

I think a single is ruled out based on the fact that P could have went to first for an out but opted to make an attempt on a lead runner. Guessing fact she ran baserunner down vs. throwing behind her may not matter?

And the fact that the lead runner was put out, even though it may have due to careless baserunning, I would think eliminates the possibility of scoring it a successful sacrifice.

Jul 25, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I think the coach called for a sacrifice bunt to be laid down but the runner on third base froze and allowed herself to get ran down. Runner on first did advance to second safely though. Thanks again, always like learning...

rd

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
*Fielders choice?

Pretty straightforward textbook Fielder's choice.

Fielder’s Choice
: A fielder’s attempt to put out a base runner rather than the batter when a throw to first base would have put out the batter. That is exactly what happened. The moment she checks the runner on 3B, it is going to be a fielders choice one way or another.

Sacrifices require the batter to get out (or would have been out if there was an error): That didn't happen here.
Can't be a hit - since it sounds like the fielder could have thrown her out.

Scoring guide I like to use found in this text:

Jul 31, 2019
anytime you can get an out but choose to go elsewhere it’s a fielders choice regardless of the outcome of the BaseRunners. If they were not going to be able to get the batted runner out, then 1B if base runner was safe

cant be a SAC without the batted runner being out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802