how would this be scored

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
runners on 1B and 2B. Catcher blocks pitch, gets away enough that both runners try and advance (not staight steals, they went on seeing the ball moving on ground) runner advancing to third thrown out by C, runner advancing to 2B safe.

caught stealing and defensive indifference?

caught stealing and advanced on throw (but they did not wait on throw)?

caught stealing and advanced on fielders choice?

Oct 2, 2015
I got caught stealing and a stolen base. If everyone was safe, I would have scored them both for advancing on a wild pitch.

BTW - I know it isn't what you asked, but Defensive Indifference should very rarely be used. For example, runners on 1B and 3B - runner takes 2B without a throw. That's a stolen base unless it is in an unusual late game situation where the base runner doesn't matter. (Tie ball game, home team at the plate in the last inning, no outs.)

Advanced on throw is for when a runner takes the next base because the throw went somewhere else.

May 6, 2015
yeah, that is what I thought, but kinda sucks. only SB allowed all weekend, on a play where she threw out the lead runner.

brings to mind related question, 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, if C makes throw, has the runner going to second, but MI does not secure ball, is the runner on third going home a SB, or advance on throw? I would think the latter, correct?

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, it was a wild pitch, but since she was thrown out at 3B you give the caught stealing.

I score a good game, but I admit I give out the "Defensive Indifference" more than I should. However, I want our coaches to see the SB totals and know that it means they really stole a base, not pranced down to second knowing that no throw was coming. Meaning that I'm trying to give the coaches data they can use to make decisions in future games. That means more to me than having 11 year old's stats be 100% by the book.

So in your case, I would not have awarded a stolen base of 2B -- I'd attribute that to the wild pitch. I'm not entirely sure (at the moment) which options I'd tap on Game Changer to make that happen.

May 6, 2015
actually, I just looked up, and in NFHS at least, it says on double or triple steal attempt, if any BR is put out, no SB are to be awarded. I cant find anything on USSSA scoring (rules we were playing under, but not USSSA sanctioned).

Feb 13, 2021
MI
look at it this way,if NO out was recorded,I have both advancing on a WP, the CS at third does not change that for runner at 2B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478