How will the new Executive Order change softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2014
Everyone needs to relax I think.
Its simple, who in their right mind would like to see someone born male compete against individuals born female?
I am very progressive and support people who are in transition or who have transitioned. That said they do not belong in contests against others who are born with different chromosomes.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Everyone needs to relax I think.
Its simple, who in their right mind would like to see someone born male compete against individuals born female?
I am very progressive and support people who are in transition or who have transitioned. That said they do not belong in contests against others who are born with different chromosomes.
Agreed. I couldn't care less what a person wants to do with his/her life and who they want to share it with. That is their business and none of mine. My comments are strictly limited to the athletic competition aspect and the biology/science involved.

Oct 14, 2016
Here is something to consider though, and it causes the lines to blur.

For the most part, the people in this thread agree that in athletics, you compete by the sport of your birth gender. This is where the blur comes in. We just recently congratulated Sarah Fuller for her accomplishments.
Vanderbilt kicker Sarah Fuller first woman to score in Power 5 college football game

Now, where do we draw the line? In women's fight for equality and equal treatment, we celebrate the obstacles they overcome. In the recent years, we have had our first female Army Rangers, and our first female Vice President. If we allow one side, shouldn't we equally allow the other?

Just a thought to ponder.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agreed. I couldn't care less what a person wants to do with his/her life and who they want to share it with.

That is their business and none of mine. My comments are strictly limited to the athletic competition aspect and the biology/science involved.
Thats good to read!

Feb 20, 2020
Agreed. I couldn't care less what a person wants to do with his/her life and who they want to share it with. That is their business and none of mine. My comments are strictly limited to the athletic competition aspect and the biology/science involved.

In a vacuum, that might be true.

But everything in interconnected. You can't have integration in some places but not in others. You can't have selective acceptance. You say you don't care about what a trans person wants to do with their life. Except you do when it comes to competition. Or maybe bathrooms. Or hiring quotas for diversity. We can't isolate one aspect of the issue without addressing all of them.

That's why I keep saying this isn't a societal issue. Society can't decide this. It needs to be done in a legal framework, where a standard definition of terms in regards to gender identity. If we are going to have definitions of sex and gender at all, they need to be consistent throughout the country. We can't have situations where some places say X and others say Y.

Do I think this can affect women's sports? It can. I don't know that it will, because, I believe that this stuff will have to be litigated. I feel for the Connecticut girls, and the story of the 55-year-old basketball player makes the opposite point than it intended to, that the physical differences are SO vast there is no way to make a level playing field when you are merging the sexes. But as long as we have a society -- and mostly youth -- that focuses on individual identity, the question won't go away.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Here is something to consider though, and it causes the lines to blur.

For the most part, the people in this thread agree that in athletics, you compete by the sport of your birth gender. This is where the blur comes in. We just recently congratulated Sarah Fuller for her accomplishments.
Vanderbilt kicker Sarah Fuller first woman to score in Power 5 college football game

Now, where do we draw the line? In women's fight for equality and equal treatment, we celebrate the obstacles they overcome. In the recent years, we have had our first female Army Rangers, and our first female Vice President. If we allow one side, shouldn't we equally allow the other?

Just a thought to ponder.
I'm so glad you brought this up. It has been on my mind every since this thread started, but honestly wasn't sure I wanted to be the one to open that can. Thank you for opening the can.

I was actually excited when I 1st heard about Sarah Fuller and thought it was cool. BUT, as I started thinking about it, I realized that there is potential double standard and that wasn't right. Either you agree with gender mixing in sports or you don't. There is no grey area here. We have to tread lightly as we wade thru this issue. What is the answer? I don't know, but I do know for me my daughters best interest is my priority as a parent.

Jun 20, 2015
it's almost like it's OK for a 14u aged girl to play on a 16u team, but not a 12u team. Sarah Fuller did an amazing job, but you cannot convince me that she is athletically equal to D1 MALE kickers in kicking distance. There's a reason they have different gender sports and that genetic testing is used to decide which 'side' a athlete competes on.

Sorry if some feel that it's discrimination, but that's just tough nuggets. Nobody said life was always going to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802