How will the new Executive Order change softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2020
It will change literally nothing except for a few cases where you have to prove discrimination or appropriately cater to someone who genuinely has a need.

Places will need processes to ensure they are appropriately handling this - to my surprise, Florida High School actually has a solid policy in place for several years. This is typical of what may be needed - it is not something someone is going to voluntarily going to go through.

Look for section 16-8 in this handbook

That's extensive. I could see a legal challenge because it's too extensive, but it would have to be a legal challenge.

I don't agree with the fundamental idea that gender if fluid, but I do think this will have to end up with the Supreme Court. When it does, it will have a series of tests attached to it like any other discrimination guideline.

Beyond that, though, I don't know what jurisdictions are supposed to do. The Supreme Court in 2020, so a conservative court, said that gender identity is a protected classification, along with race, biological sex, disability and orientation. So if that designation is to be clarified, it's going to require a) an event b) a lawsuit because of the event and c) everyone being willing to fight and pay for it to get to the Supreme Court. It won't be an easy answer, but it's one that the courts are going to have to deal with.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida may have a solid plan in place. Starting to look like Florida may be the only sane state but that's a different discussion. What about the Blue states? Anyone feel confident that they will do the same? Or are you okay with men competing against women?

They are not the only state....Most states have something in place. Details in the below

They have a link to the NCAA policies as well - which again have been in place for several years very effectivley.

The whole idea of some jackass just going "I'm a girl, haw haw, let me do this' is not a reality - and is clearly not discriminatory anyway if they are told no - policy or not. To be discriminated against you actually have to be IN the discriminated class - which will require proof.

If you have played travel softball in Florida in HS divisions you have played against some transgender players. Did you notice? Of course you didn't. I only know a couple of identities because I have been on some of the review boards for FHSSA. The policy has been in place for several years and has proven very, very effective to the point where most people don't even know it exists.

I don't have exact numbers, but I have been told the number of people who go through the FHSSA process is extremely low.

Oct 14, 2016
Apr 20, 2015
They are not the only state....Most states have something in place. Details in the below

They have a link to the NCAA policies as well - which again have been in place for several years very effectivley.

The whole idea of some jackass just going "I'm a girl, haw haw, let me do this' is not a reality - and is clearly not discriminatory anyway if they are told no - policy or not. To be discriminated against you actually have to be IN the discriminated class - which will require proof.

If you have played travel softball in Florida in HS divisions you have played against some transgender players. Did you notice? Of course you didn't. I only know a couple of identities because I have been on some of the review boards for FHSSA. The policy has been in place for several years and has proven very, very effective to the point where most people don't even know it exists.

I don't have exact numbers, but I have been told the number of people who go through the FHSSA process is extremely low.
Thank you for being a voice of reason here. As someone that works with transgendered children I can agree with you without a doubt that this isn't something the average male athlete is going to say oh ha ha I'm going to be a girl and steal a scholarship.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
This is the start of it.
Connecticut Transgender Policy Found to Violate Title IX

Connecticut high school transgender athletes ‘no longer want to remain silent’ following Title IX complaint

This one below might have spurred the executive order. Step one, executive order. Step two, passing laws federally. Step three, passing laws locally.

A federal agency says Connecticut must keep trans students from girls’ sports. The state disagrees.

Times...They are a changing.

For all the media attention, it's really not a big issue in practice. Each year over 100,000 high school student-athletes participate in interscholastic athletics in Connecticut. And in the several years of CT having this policy, we're talking a grand total of 2 students (both in track and field).

Oct 14, 2016
For all the media attention, it's really not a big issue in practice. Each year over 100,000 high school student-athletes participate in interscholastic athletics in Connecticut. And in the several years of CT having this policy, we're talking a grand total of 2 students (both in track and field).
It is probably because these two students, one in particular, Terry Miller, who took 19 State Titles and set new State records. The girls who filed the lawsuit feel they were denied the titles, which led to the denial of scholarship opportunities.

The world record for the 200 in track is by Usain Bolt at 19.19
The female world record for the 200 in track is by Florence Griffith-Joyner at 21.34
That is a 2.15 minute difference. In this sport, that is a huge difference.

I believe this is going to become a larger issue in the coming years. And it is not the athletes faults.

Jul 14, 2018
It is probably because these two students, one in particular, Terry Miller, who took 19 State Titles and set new State records. The girls who filed the lawsuit feel they were denied the titles, which led to the denial of scholarship opportunities.

The world record for the 200 in track is by Usain Bolt at 19.19
The female world record for the 200 in track is by Florence Griffith-Joyner at 21.34
That is a 2.15 minute difference. In this sport, that is a huge difference.

I believe this is going to become a larger issue in the coming years. And it is not the athletes faults.

*Two seconds, which is indeed an eternity in track. I would also point out that a PED-laden FloJo has seen her record stand for 30+ years, so the gulf between male and female performance is greater than that number suggests.

I can see this being an issue in individual sports, but I think it’s unlikely that it has much of an impact on a team game like softball. Even if the athlete in question was a pitcher, the best men in the world throw 15 mph faster, max. And that would mean the best-in-class would have to also be trans.

One final thing to think about. One of the things most people on DFP agree on is that you have to play the best competition to get better. If there were an actual team, the SoCal Transgender All-Stars, wouldn’t you want to see your team take up the challenge and play them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2016
I can see this being an issue in individual sports, but I think it’s unlikely that it has much of an impact on a team game like softball. Even if the athlete in question was a pitcher, the best men in the world throw 15 mph faster, max. And that would mean the best-in-class would have to also be trans.

Pitching is just one aspect of our game.

Speed down the line. Home to first times on a 60ft diamond. Arm strength for outfielders. 210ft fence compared to 300ft. Composite bats and the variance of bat exit speed.

One final thing to think about. One of the things most people on DFP agree on is that you have to play the best competition to get better. If there were an actual team, the SoCal Transgender All-Stars, wouldn’t you want to see your team take up the challenge and play them?
As much as I would want to play this team, I would be afraid for my girls. To have nine all star transgender hitters using composite bats with my pitcher only 43ft away. I would be sooo afraid for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802