How will the new Executive Order change softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Day 1 EO from President Biden will penalize any educational institution that does not allow biological male athletes (that identify as women) equal opportunity at women's sports including scholarships (if the institution receives any federal funding). And will allow equal access for same athletes to female facilities including restrooms and locker-rooms.

Is this the end of Title IX?
Will your dd care? Will the parents care?
Is this no big deal?
Will this change softball in the future?

Jun 20, 2015
well, it says women sports and softball. No different than woman's olympic sports. Believe they require DNA test and participants must be XX chromosomes. PERIOD!!!

Feb 20, 2020
It doesn't say that.

It says gender identify was determined by the Supreme Court in 2020 to be a factor in discrimination, and that laws that allow for discrimination based on gender identity will be targeted for review. It doesn't say anything about federal funding, nor does it say anything about penalizing institutions.

The gender identity thing will have to play out in the courts, and will probably have to make it all the way the SCOTUS. In order to get to that point, laws will have to be passed that allow for gender discrimination, or the converse. it does make it clear that the policy of the administration will be to enforce those laws that prohibit discrimination based on gender identity and combat those that call for it.

But that's all it does for now. So to answer your question, it will give jurisdictions who are inclined to treat female-identifying males as females a larger leg to stand on. But this will end up played out in the courts, not by EO.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
well, it says women sports and softball. No different than woman's olympic sports. Believe they require DNA test and participants must be XX chromosomes. PERIOD!!!

The EO says that the school can not discriminate against any athlete based on gender identity. DNA has nothing to do with it. (and yes, I believe the Olympics has different rules).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Is that really what it means? You make the assertion, but I'd like to see the reasoning linking what the EO says and the practical impact on who gets college scholarships and locker room access. I honestly don't know the answer, but my guess is that it's more complicated that this.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Will this change softball in the future?

It will change literally nothing except for a few cases where you have to prove discrimination or appropriately cater to someone who genuinely has a need.

Places will need processes to ensure they are appropriately handling this - to my surprise, Florida High School actually has a solid policy in place for several years. This is typical of what may be needed - it is not something someone is going to voluntarily go through without a lot of conviction.

Look for section 16-8 in this handbook

Added: There are a FEW - and I mean a FEW players I know who have been through this process in Florida - not necessarily softball. Unless you were part of it - pretty much no one notices or knows which is appropriate.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
It will change literally nothing except for a few cases where you have to prove discrimination or appropriately cater to someone who genuinely has a need.

Places will need processes to ensure they are appropriately handling this - to my surprise, Florida High School actually has a solid policy in place for several years. This is typical of what may be needed - it is not something someone is going to voluntarily going to go through.

Look for section 16-8 in this handbook

Looks like Florida has a solid policy in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood