How to teach extension after contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2011
Does anyone have any drills or ideas about how I can teach my daughter to extend after contact? I spent a lot of time getting her to understand the "Power L" at contact and not having an "arm-y" swing. The problem now seems to be that she concentrates on not straightening her arms before contact so she ends up rolling over after contact without fully extending first. Her arms never straighten. This ends up affecting her swing path, and I am sure it saps power also. She's young & little, so there isn't much to sap, anyway. :) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

slomo swing 12 31 - YouTube

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
St. Louis, MO
When working with my dd (10) on the tee, I have her stop her swing at contact, then "push" or "extend" towards the area she is wanting the ball to go. After a several times, we go full swing. Simple drill for young ones and an easier concept to grasp.

Aug 2, 2008
Grip first then hand over drill, I believe SBFAMILY has pics and descriptions of both???? I couldnt find them.

I was working with one of our players last night who hits the ball real hard. I adjusted her grip (she was a palm gripper) and as Howard has stated many times she could hear and feel the bat hit the ball much harder.

If a kid is cheating herself and not getting fully extended I have them mix in 5 or 6 hand over swings during each tee station.

May 16, 2010
Does anyone have any drills or ideas about how I can teach my daughter to extend after contact? I spent a lot of time getting her to understand the "Power L" at contact and not having an "arm-y" swing. The problem now seems to be that she concentrates on not straightening her arms before contact so she ends up rolling over after contact without fully extending first. Her arms never straighten. This ends up affecting her swing path, and I am sure it saps power also. She's young & little, so there isn't much to sap, anyway. :) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have her simply throw the bat with the rear arm. Tuck the elbow into the back side and make the top hand move toward the front shoulder. The force of the barrel makes your arms extend. LET them extend after contact. Don't push the hands or TRY to extend. The bat pulls your hands into extension.

May 16, 2010
When working with my dd (10) on the tee, I have her stop her swing at contact, then "push" or "extend" towards the area she is wanting the ball to go. After a several times, we go full swing. Simple drill for young ones and an easier concept to grasp.

Extension is a follow-through action. If you have thrown the barrel properly, and rotated properly, the bat should pull the arms into extension. LET them go.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Thanks

We filmed this 2-3 years ago.
My daughter doing a drill for what you are looking for. Her back hand is on upside down
Lead one arm swings.
Reverse Hand Swing 2010 02 14 14 00 24 - YouTube

Straightleg

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Extension is a follow-through action. If you have thrown the barrel properly, and rotated properly, the bat should pull the arms into extension. LET them go.

Great point. I have always told the girls that their arms are merely along for the ride (loosely explained to a young kid) to keep the bat from flying to the outfield. At 10U I am more focused on the hips turning and starting to open up first so they are able to extend and follow through even more.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Wrist rolling usually happens when the front shoulder/arm slow down or stop just before contact allowing the back side to overtake the front. Front toss with front arm only...using back hand to hold front wrist until on plane. Use a short, light bat or PVC and Lite Flites. Also helps getting on plane and whip. My favorite drill when I'm switching a RH to LH for slapping. Similar to hand over drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22