How to stop DD from throwing too high

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
She keeps throwing it over her teammates heads, and even throws it over mine sometimes. I think her release needs to start higher? I'm not sure, but I've tried telling her to look at the target more.. or even look at my feet instead of the glove to overcompensate,, but I'm afraid that might lead to some other issues down the line.. Any advice on how to get her to throw more straight?

Aug 20, 2017
Posture: stay down in legs and keep chin over toes. Should help get throws down. Also tell them to finish palm down when throwing from this angle. Other teaches: front shoulder down, put nose on the bag

Mar 1, 2016
I’ve always told girls to point their nose at their target. Often, when they are throwing high it’s because they are trying to “muscle up” and their nose will be pointing up at release. Watch that closely and see if it’s the case. Other than that, she should stay in her legs and not stand up so much when she throws and release with the thumb down.

That’s all I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She keeps throwing it over her teammates heads, and even throws it over mine sometimes. I think her release needs to start higher? I'm not sure, but I've tried telling her to look at the target more.. or even look at my feet instead of the glove to overcompensate,, but I'm afraid that might lead to some other issues down the line.. Any advice on how to get her to throw more straight?
Play catch and make her chase all the ones that go wild. It worked with my kids.

Aug 29, 2018
Hahahaha! I like that! I thought it was not having the body turned in the correct position when the ball is released. Aren’t they supposed to be facing forward when they release at the hip?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD went through a phase when our parents sitting in stands wanted to be home team because they got tired of taking cover when she tried to throw it to 1st. Incoming!

She added a little crow hop and issue was resolved. I am not sure if her thinking about her back foot got her head out of the way or it helped her lineup.

Apr 30, 2018
Have you done any of Wasserman's High Level Throwing drills? It is probably a function of her arm path. Does she have a good follow through with the hand finishing down by the opposite hip?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
Step straight throw straight. Always step towards target. She is releasing the ball too early. Get her on video and show her where she is releasing and where she should be releaxing to hit target.
Could also be a concentration issue. Gotta focus on task at hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802