How to remind kids to do what we have covered without being a nag.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I never said I expected them to have it perfected after one practice, nor did I. (Even if that was not clear in my post) I just described what I saw and asked for some ideas to speed things along.
Okay but you said "We covered propper throwing at a few practices" This should be done and reinforced at all practices for most younger teams, not just a few practices. Some will be more athletic than others. Reps, Reps, Reps and more reps. Once you understand this, your frustration levels and expectation levels will lessen. I have seen D1 players that have horrible mechanics yet they are playing college ball. At it's okay to stop practice, point out the flaw and reinforce proper technique. Ask them how it feels and remember that feeling when they do it properly. Praise good technique and celebrate it when they get it. I think I started getting my grey hair when my DD1 started her first 10U season.

Had a former CEO tell me about the "Barf method". Tell/show something over and over until they barf...then tell them one more time!

Feb 1, 2021
For throwing, get some VERY light bands, attach one end to a pole or the fence creating a "throwing simulation station". Have then slow down the movement with very light resistance. There are too many 'free form' things to go wrong at full speed.

Have them slow down the movement using the bands for 5 to 10 reps, then go back out and try again. Should take a minute tops. After 5 attempts at throwing over the course all your other drills, if they can't throw "right" 4 of 5 times, keep sending them back to the band station. You can do this informally throughout practice at any time but give then 3 to 5 attempts minimum before sending them back.

You may have set up the throwing station every practice, but eventually it will improve.

Oct 14, 2016
"We don't throw to warm-up. We throw to get better."
Our "warm-up" throw routine my athletes do is purposeful. They have specific actions they do as the thrower and the receiver. We work isolation at short distances, then as we increase the distance, we work more body movement. We accomplish warming up and we accomplish proper technique.

For younger girls and the beginnings of seasons, I have them all throw together. What I mean is, one line will throw, the other line receive. This allows me to watch an entire line and correct a line instead of each individual. Saves time.

Example (not complete)
Throw: Ball in glove, extract, elbows high, rotate shoulders, fingers high, bend and reach, wave bye-bye.
Receiver: Step in glove side, fingers high, head behind ball, catch.

Next stage
Throw: Step toward target with instep of throwing side foot facing target, repeat above stage.
Receiver: Repeat above, bring glove to center chest with throwing hand inside glove ready to extract.

Next Stage
Throw: Start down as if receiving a ground ball, repeat above two stages.
Receiver: Repeat above, practice tagging runner.

Next Stage
Throw: Shuffle throw
Receiver: Relay catch (turn body after ball is in flight.) catch, one step and extract to throw (don't throw)

Apr 17, 2019
Next practice: "Who wants to show me the right way to throw?" *hands go up* Let all of them show you (or at least 3-4 of them), one at a time. "That was great Susie! I just saw one little thing off. Did anyone else see it?" Let them correct each other. -OR- if they do it right: "That was so good! I loved the way your elbow stayed up!" etc...
"Let's do some mindful practice for a few minutes now! Use your good technique!"

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Do you have a series of throwing drills you use when warming up? If so make sure the do them correctly warming up. For INFers roll balls to them and have them focus on throwing correctly into a screen set pretty close. Can also just put the ball in glove and go into fielding position and throw. For OFers roll grounders and throw pop flys having them throw correctly into a screen. Do the same when working on changing arm angles for INFers. Then hit them some balls to them and let your main focus be throwing mechanics. Spend a bunch of time on it.

The key to developing good mechanics is controlling the environment. Slow everything down and only focus on throwing mechanics for a good portion of practice. Same thing for good fielding mechanics.

Jun 26, 2019
Okay but you said "We covered propper throwing at a few practices" This should be done and reinforced at all practices for most younger teams, not just a few practices.

I guess I forget other parts of the country start at different times. We are only a few practices in at this point, but yes it has been and will be at least breifly covered at each practice.
Maybe I am just hoping for an “easy button” that does not exist or work. Lol
Thanks so far, lots of good points.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
My 7 yr old shot puts the ball and does not throw very far. Somewhere on this message board, someone suggested watching an Austin Wasserman video on throwing mechanics and drills. I took my DD out and had her do one of the drills by placing the ball at the back of her head and throwing from her knees, and soon she started throwing better, literally doubling the distance of her throws because she was using the proper mechanics. Now, with that said, I am sure she will go right back to shot-putting the ball until we do more of the drills; but seeing the ball go farther made her want to do better each time. It will happen, just need repetitions. I plan on using this teaching tool with other girls on her 6-8 yr old team at the next practice.

Apr 12, 2015
some ideas to speed things along.

There is absolutely nothing you can to do speed things along. Good, old fashioned repetition is the only way to achieve the goal you want. For some girls, it will take a thousand reps. For others, 10 thousand. Just the way it is.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
I guess I forget other parts of the country start at different times. We are only a few practices in at this point, but yes it has been and will be at least breifly covered at each practice.
Maybe I am just hoping for an “easy button” that does not exist or work. Lol
Thanks so far, lots of good points.
Do your kids a favor. Fundamentals fundamentals fundamentals.....make them FUN but reinforce fundamentals.

Had a disagreement with an AC he felt we worked on fundamentals too much and needed to work on situational more. My point is/was if little sally can't catch or can't throw the ball properly...it doesn't matter if she knows to throw it to 2B or any where else. We parted ways after that year....IMHO we don't help players get fundamentally strong at an earlier age.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Throwing - like hitting - is a muscle memory movement pattern. It has to be repeated with the correct movements until the old pattern has been fully reprogrammed. There is no substitution for lots of high-quality reps to make this change, and some will adopt the new pattern quicker than others. Just telling them doesn't make the pattern change. Have them do it...do it again....and again...and again...and again...and again.............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood