How to Play Softball During a Pandemic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
if that’s true about 3 girls in dugout etc. what about base coaches. Wil they be allowed. And if so how do you make sure they keep 6 feet apart. Coaches are always in the runners ear. Like someone said if this is what it takes to bring softball back then now is not the time

Oct 2, 2017
if that’s true about 3 girls in dugout etc. what about base coaches. Wil they be allowed. And if so how do you make sure they keep 6 feet apart. Coaches are always in the runners ear. Like someone said if this is what it takes to bring softball back then now is not the time

The thing is, those guidelines are not going anywhere for any length of time. Think about it, when are they going to say, now its ok to make contact with each other, or be within a foot of each other? Never. You, would have to have 0 cases by and large for them to say that and or a cure. MAYBE a vaccine. So when will be the time to bring it back? This is just my opinion.

By guidelines I'm referring to the CDC etc.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
The thing is, those guidelines are not going anywhere for any length of time. Think about it, when are they going to say, now its ok to make contact with each other, or be within a foot of each other? Never. You, would have to have 0 cases by and large for them to say that and or a cure. MAYBE a vaccine. So when will be the time to bring it back? This is just my opinion.

"until it is safe" means never.

Jun 8, 2016
"until it is safe" means never.
The word safe is just a person's willingness to take on a certain risk. If data was being provided which quantified various risks (risk of being infected, risk of being hospitalized, risk of dying) and compared them to what we deal with every flu season people would have a better feel for when they would feel safe.

I honestly don't know these numbers nor do I know if enough is known about COVID to be able to calculate them at the moment (or if some can even be calculated in general). However if possible, for states that have already opened up, this would go a long with getting the economy back on track IMO. That said my brain is wired to make decisions based upon numbers/statistics so that might not work for everybody... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
The word safe is just a person's willingness to take on a certain risk. If data was being provided which quantified various risks (risk of being infected, risk of being hospitalized, risk of dying) and compared them to what we deal with every flu season people would have a better feel for when they would feel safe.

I honestly don't know these numbers nor do I know if enough is known about COVID to be able to calculate them at the moment (or if some can even be calculated in general). However if possible, for states that have already opened up, this would go a long with getting the economy back on track IMO.

I agree, I think by that he was meaning the CDC etc. declaring it as safe etc. according to their guidelines.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree, I think by that he was meaning the CDC etc. declaring it as safe etc. according to their guidelines.
The CDC guidelines are likely based upon being able to control outbreaks should they occur e.g. they are basing safe on when social distancing is no longer necessary which in turn is based upon being able to control potential outbreaks.

Edit: I am hoping this discussion of personal risk is relevant to the board since it relates to how one decides when our kids can play again... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812