How to lose friends and alienate umpires.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Today I watched two teams I'm not affiliated with in a district championship game.

The visiting coach, who is a loudmouth and has a slim grasp of the rules, but is none the less extremely vocal, called an offensive timeout so he could tell the batter to square around with two outs so they could steal 3rd base. If the fact that the regional champion in the 100 yard dash was on second and the catcher couldn't throw my grandma out, wasn't a tip off enough that they were stealing the time out certainly was. The fact that there were two outs and no one believed that they were trying a sac bunt seemed to escape him too, but I digress. He should have just yelled hey everyone here comes the steal.

After the successful steal he called his second offensive time out because he didn't know the rules. I mean he's only coached for 11 seasons, so perhaps I should cut him some slack. But of oddly enough, the umpire, who was very good, granted the second time out.

At this point the opposing head coach politely said, "He's already taken his time out." The plate umpire realizes the error of his ways, and is walking toward the offensive coach, batter, and runner who are starting to get together about 30 feet away on the 3rd base line. BUT then the ASSistant coach of the defense starts chirping at the plate umpire about granting the second time out.

He is on his way to break it up I'm not sure what this jackass want the umpire to do. The umpire kind of gives him "the look" to signify I'm on on it, and then the jackass yells at the umpire, "What difference does it make now you already granted it." At this point the umpire is now clearly unhappy and instead of breaking up the conference walks toward the defensive dugout and says, "I'm aware and I'm handling it."

So the offense only got the time out because the ASSistant coach kept stopping the umpire who was already doing what he wanted him to do.

I said to my son, "Why the hell is he trying to piss off the umpire who is already doing what he asked him to do."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2