How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
My DD just turned 13 and plays 12U. Her rise ball is pretty good 1 out of 6 or 7 pitches. PC said nobody in 12U will hit it. First time for me but different than what I experienced as a college baseball guy.

PC told me the only way to hit it is to try and hit on top of the ball. If you have a great drop they need to try and hit the bottom of the ball. If you have both they must guess which one is coming and must stay in the strike zone to hit it. Bergman said something similar about a sinker baller and a guy with a jumpy fastball.

Feb 15, 2017
The old discussion about “does it really rise” , rather it just stays on plane and fools the batter into thinking its rising because it resists gravity. I would suggest I’ve seen enough of DDs Pc’s students including my own that a base that doesn’t follow the normal path of gravity definitely gives the appearance of “rise”. DD (11u) throws low to mid 50s FB but for some strange reason can spin a rise around 20rps. Sure as heck gives the appearance when you are catching it and seeing it on a string that it “rises” and has fooled a large number of hitters thus far. I would agree with OP - they are out there. Albeit not the same rise you see out of the older kids.

As far as hitting it? Great advice above - we teach spin identity and at the hands...let it go. Nice to have a former D1 pitcher to throw pitches for the team to “read spin”!

Jun 6, 2018
The biggest advice I give here is lots of girls throw rise balls but very few actually throw a rise ball. A true rise ball has the spin to have the ball move upward the last 5 ft to the plate. The majority throw a high fast ball that moves upward.

The key is a true rise ball starts mid zone and rises to shoulders/head at the end.

Majority of rise ball pitchers have a pitch that starts high in the zone and finishes around the head.

Advice I tell girls is to take a few to determine the strike zone (80%+ of the non-true riseball pitchers) have the pitch called a ball. I have had high success against these pitchers as they tend to walk girls and get more frustrated that we are not chasing the pitch. The tendency is to then be behind in the count and forced to throw more pitches in the zone and those usually are hittable.

Now a true rise ball pitcher, best advice is first take a few and see if they are called strikes. They tend to have more strikes called as their ball is in the zone longer. If that is the case, have your girls up in the box as this is the best chance they will have to hit the ball. It will be tough and the batter has to be good.

May 12, 2016
The biggest advice I give here is lots of girls throw rise balls but very few actually throw a rise ball. A true rise ball has the spin to have the ball move upward the last 5 ft to the plate. The majority throw a high fast ball that moves upward.

The key is a true rise ball starts mid zone and rises to shoulders/head at the end.

Majority of rise ball pitchers have a pitch that starts high in the zone and finishes around the head.

Advice I tell girls is to take a few to determine the strike zone (80%+ of the non-true riseball pitchers) have the pitch called a ball. I have had high success against these pitchers as they tend to walk girls and get more frustrated that we are not chasing the pitch. The tendency is to then be behind in the count and forced to throw more pitches in the zone and those usually are hittable.

Now a true rise ball pitcher, best advice is first take a few and see if they are called strikes. They tend to have more strikes called as their ball is in the zone longer. If that is the case, have your girls up in the box as this is the best chance they will have to hit the ball. It will be tough and the batter has to be good.
pattar I need your baby running away animated gif

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for the advice everyone. At this point we don't see this type of pitcher very often but it will be nice to have a game plan for the next time!

Here's a cool story about the pitcher btw. Turns out she was born deaf and has had cochlear implants! Very inspiring!

https://songsforsound.com/news-even...racle-that-s-helping-the-world-hear-the-music

She's on the Birmingham Thunderbolts.
But she was pitching for Texas glory 06...I'm confused?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
pattar I need your baby running away animated gif
No can do. Baby told me he was too tired from being used in all these threads and it looks to be true:

gmOihaX.gif

Oct 4, 2016
But she was pitching for Texas glory 06...I'm confused?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lol - no. Another poster said that his daughter, who plays on Texas Glory - 06 Midwest saw a riser too.

What's funny is that my daughter was the pitcher on the Texas Glory team that played against the Birmingham Thunderbolts for whom the pitcher we're discussing plays for. I will say I was proud of my daughter's pitching against them even though they lost 2-1.

May 17, 2012

A sotfball that defies physics? I hope that you aren't involved in coaching softball in any capacity.

It's more likely the pitcher you are facing is throwing a really fast high fastball and not a riseball at 12u. Sure she could be a once in a generation talent that comes along every 20 years but I would doubt it.

Game planning to hit a riseball at 12u seems like a waste of time (because you damn sure aren't gong to see more than one of them). There are so many other facets of the game you should be working on (in 12u).

Oct 4, 2016
A sotfball that defies physics? I hope that you aren't involved in coaching softball in any capacity.

It's more likely the pitcher you are facing is throwing a really fast high fastball and not a riseball at 12u. Sure she could be a once in a generation talent that comes along every 20 years but I would doubt it.

Game planning to hit a riseball at 12u seems like a waste of time (because you damn sure aren't gong to see more than one of them). There are so many other facets of the game you should be working on (in 12u).

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom