How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agreed, in principle you want to hit every pitch location equally well.

That said, the reality is that I showed you that even the best hitters in the world have a "weakness" relatively speaking so as a hitter you want to minimize the number of times you swing at those pitches..that is all I am saying.
This first sentence of your post is the important point!

My experience and perspective comes from being a successful fastpitch hitter and catcher. Calling pitches! Teaching hitting also. Coaching at elite levels.

Will say without doubt certain hitting mechanics struggle hitting a riseball.

Will also say again trajectory of the pitch in fastpitch is NOT the same as baseball.

* 2 facts are important~
The riseball is only an affective weapon if the batter cant hit it!
A batter can work with mechanics that will increase greatly the ability to hit riseballs and all other pitches.
That is the best goal!!!

If a person mindset "thats too difficult i just wont swing"
Is taking the wrong approach!

Take notice of opportunity now to develop not having a weak spot in your hitting!!!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Will say without doubt certain hitting mechanics struggle hitting a riseball.

Will also say again trajectory of the pitch in fastpitch is NOT the same as baseball.

A batter can work with mechanics that will increase greatly the ability to hit riseballs and all other pitches.

Lol..you are arguing with me against points which I didn't even make

That said, to be fair the thread was about how to hit the riseball and not necessarily the best approach so at least you are staying on topic.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Good luck with that strategy. I know you are trying to take an old-school anti-sabermetric view here but baseball has operated under basically this same premise for 100+ years..you don't give up outs late in the game when you are down by more than 1 or 2 runs...
I hear ya pattar and don't disagree. My strategy is do not give up outs on the base paths and if you can get the tying run to the plate, the fans are much more excited lol. Trying to get that tying run to the plate with 3 singles is more a struggle than 1 long ball.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lol..you are arguing with me against points which I didn't even make

That said, to be fair the thread was about how to hit the riseball and not necessarily the best approach so at least you are staying on topic.
No argument.
Sharing my perspective.
Thanks for sharing too!

I could add conversation on exact hitting differences, but well...not interested :)

May 12, 2016
I hear ya pattar and don't disagree. My strategy is do not give up outs on the base paths and if you can get the tying run to the plate, the fans are much more excited lol. Trying to get that tying run to the plate with 3 singles is more a struggle than 1 long ball.
If that's your goal then you should be focusing on something you can drive, not waving your bat at something up around your chin.. which I believe brings us back full circle. I know you can throw a low rise ball for a strike.. but IMO that defeats the purpose. Yes it can be mixed with other pitches and it changes the trajectory of the pitch which can make it effective. But we are talking about a rise ball that get's up on you in the zone. Can a hitter take one out above the waist/numbers? Sure, there are also extreme examples of MLB players tomahawking balls in the seats in the MLB as well... there's a reason why those HR's make the highlights, because they are rare.

JMHO and what I think is good advice, learn how to hit pitches thrown anywhere. While you are at the plate, focus on hitting pitches that are hitters pitches. Adjust with the umpires strike zone. If facing a good rise ball pitcher, layoff the high pitches and make them bring it back down into the zone, make them pitch more pitches... that's truly how you control a pitcher, not by trying to hit their best strike out pitch with less than 2 strikes.

May 12, 2016
I never hit fastpitch but as a lefty you probably wouldn't have much fun trying to pick up the ball (or hit in general) against Chris Sale (or the like) with his arm slot (the ball would be released from almost behind you :LOL: )

In any case hitting high pitches with velocity is difficult regardless.

Oh yeah, the ball would be on you before you even know it.. which is my experience with Fastpitch.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Good post julray.
To the point of
"If facing a good riseball pitcher lay off the high pitch and make them bring it back in the zone"
Could be said of all pitches.
Make them bring back into zone.
Think we all commonly agree have to be able to hit more than just strikes.

A good pitcher will have ability to set up batters.
Purposely not throwing strikes or rather only throwing strikes when they want to.

Plenty of games pitched not utilizing the strikezone.
Rather throwing around batters!

May 12, 2016
Good post julray.
To the point of
"If facing a good riseball pitcher lay off the high pitch and make them bring it back in the zone"
Could be said of all pitches.
Make them bring back into zone.
Think we all commonly agree have to be able to hit more than just strikes.

A good pitcher will have ability to set up batters.
Purposely not throwing strikes or rather only throwing strikes when they want to.

Plenty of games pitched not utilizing the strikezone.
Rather throwing around batters!

Thank you.

Of course a pitcher would rather throw around batters.. Catcher/pitcher game plan. However, there is another side to that equation.. the hitter. The best hitters will make the pitcher work.. you want to keep throwing balls and getting behind in the count and then come back in the strike zone because you have to... fine with me as a hitter. One, it drives your pitch count up, Two, it makes you predictable, Three it keeps your team in the field longer, Four it puts more pressure on your defense when walking hitters.. etc etc. Yes a hitter should be able to hit any pitch, but early in the count they should be more selective, look for a pitch you can hit hard, not just a pitch you can hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom